Changing 12-27 for 11-28. Cassette Options?

Valedoc44
Valedoc44 Posts: 51
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Hi folks, 7 month newbie seeking help with this post.

My 105 (5600 series) has 12-27 working with a 50-39-30 triple.

The 27 is OK for all the hills around here (age and fitness levels) but I keep on being left behind on the flat with the 12, even when pedalling at my max rate.

What are my best value options? 11-28 looks a reasonable choice but will the 5700 series, or Ultegra, fit and work without any twiddling to my bike? Getting fitter and using 11-25 could work but those hills...!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Learn to pedal at a higher cadence. Unless you're of the ilk of Cavendish, Farrar etc you shouldn't be spinning out in 50-12 - 120rpm on a 50-12 is 40mph and 150rpm is just shy of 50! Changing to an 11 cog would give you under 3mph difference at 120rpm.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Learn to pedal at a higher cadence. Unless you're of the ilk of Cavendish, Farrar etc you shouldn't be spinning out in 50-12 - 120rpm on a 50-12 is 40mph and 150rpm is just shy of 50! Changing to an 11 cog would give you under 3mph difference at 120rpm.

Sort of agree, I do not run out of gears on the flat on my tourer / winter bike which has a 48/38/26 married to an 11 -28. I do however spin out downhill so my road bike has a 52/39/30 (I still need help getting up hills) and gives me an excellent range.

D :D
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Must admit I was running a 11/28 through the summer, then went to a 12/27 on my winter bike. Found it a bit odd for a few weeks but it's only on 40mph descents that I miss the '11. I'd only change if you need a new cassette anyway to be honest. You have to fiddle with the 'b' adjustment screw also to fit the 11/28 and the 5600 isn't designed to work with a cassette that wide. I ran it myself for a while with 6600 and it did work, until the mech ended up in the spokes when the hanger broke but that was an unrelated incident! Just get your LBS to do it for you and set up the rear mech if in any doubt. Seriously though, I doubt you'd suddenly keep up just because you've got an 11.....
  • Thanks all for your help. I'll wait until I put a few more miles in.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, it takes many miles to develop a fluid and fast cadence - grinding along at 60 rpm in your biggest gear isn't going to help and in fact will fatigue your muscles quicker. When riding in a group, try and match your pedalling speed with more experienced riders.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..