Cinelli Quill Stems, sizing?

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi there chaps, I'm just looking for some advice on quill stems as I need a longer one than the 90mm one on a 1997 Mercian Strada Speciale I have. The problem is that I have read the following on wiki:

"...the Italian unofficial standard is 26.0 mm, which is the most common clamp size for road bars. There are also intermediate sizes such as 25.8 mm to try to achieve compatibility with either an ISO or Italian stem, and the old Cinelli-specific size of 26.4 mm. In practice, many modern stems with removable faceplates are quite accommodating of slight differences in handlebar clamp size, but the older type of stem with a single pinch bolt must be accurately matched."

So, I am not sure of the age of the current Cinelli stem/handlebars (they could well be prior to 1997 as my late father in law did mix and match to suit himself) and I cannot see any indications/markings (apart from the stem being 1" threaded and single pinch bolt type). I know some might say "measure it" but I cannot see how I can accurately measure the difference between 26 and 26.4 mm, etc. So, what do you all think about the Wiki comment on the need for accurate matching? I was hoping I could just buy a nice 1" threaded stem from the right era (mid 90's), e.g., 3TTT or Cinelli, in the 26mm-ish clamp range, and just stick it on??

Many thanks...

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    a vernier caliper will easily tell the difference between 26 and 26.4mm, even a basic one should be good for 0.02mm

or you can do it with a piece of thin non-stretchy stuff, like a piece of fishing line...

wrap around circumference, mark point of overlap, straighten along ruler, measure, given c = pi d

d == 26 -> c == 81.7mm

d == 26.4 -> c == 82.9mm

over 1mm difference in circumference is enough to tell which you've got

or to reduce error, if you wrap 10 turns with the line packed side to side, then it'll increase the difference to around 12mm
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Late 90s Cinelli is likely to be 26.0mm, but most are 26.4mm and bars/stem could be from earlier. If the Cinelli bars have a smooth centre bulge, rather than a seperate sleeve they are likely to be 26.0.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Many thanks Sungod and Montydog. I will have another look at the bike and see what I can work out before the fun of sourcing the stem begins...
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Well I can help with where you might get some.
    From the UK
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/
    From Hungary
    http://matuzmaster.hu/en/
    And there is another placein the Netherlands which escapes me at the moment.

I've brought stuff from the guy in Hungary and it was delivered quickly and resonably priced/