Leicestershire Supertour

I'm thinking of doing my first 100 and have been looking at the Leicestershire Super tour (mainly because its local and pretty flat). I believe its only been running for 1 year and I can't find any reviews. Anyone out there that did it in 2011 and would like to share their experience?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'd be interested in this as well, as I'm going to be entering it myself (I live 2 miles from the start!) and it ain't THAT flat.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Hi Coltrane

Just caught up with the forum a bit and noticed your post. I am the organizer of the Leics SuperTour and you can find a few comments on the 2011 section of cyclosport's event rankings here http://www.cyclosport.org/2011/event-rankings.html

Not wishing to put you off, but if you are looking for something flat then this isn't it. You can find a route map on http://www.itpevents.co.uk

It isn't the Fred Whitton, but does contain some pretty hard climbs.

Ian
  • Hi Coltrane, your request prompted me to sign on and tell my story.

I did this event last year on my 1982 vintage Raleigh Record Ace (if there was another steel framed bike in the event I didn't see it amongst all the carbon fibre and aluminium). It was my first sportive so I chose to ride the shorter 60 mile route (at least that was the plan) and this was by no means flat, as Ian has said. I managed to record the slowest time for this distance but I have an excuse as I missed a turning in Woodhouse Eaves (there was a route arrow but I didn't see it) and by the time I had worked out the extent of my problem I was 10 miles off course :( . I retraced my route to the point where I went wrong and finished the event on my own having missed the feeding station at Bagworth (which had closed) and done an extra 20 miles, including some parts of the route 3 times!

Despite this I enjoyed the event, which was well organised, and I was pleased with my average speed. In fact I felt pretty good at the end and, having enjoyed it so much, I went and got a secondhand but more modern bike and rode a further two sportives of 90 and 103 miles later in the year. This year I intend to be back for the longer event but without any unplanned detours this time! Hope my tale doesn't put you off - it was a great day out and it didn't put me off :D

Thanks for a great event, Ian - the 60 mile route looked a picture in the sunshine. I will try and make the Supertour an annual fixture in future and your Rutland event has now joined this one in my 2012 diary too.

David
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Coltrane;

Haven't ridden the event but know the majority of the route as live locally - as Ian says it's not the Fred, but there are some nice hills. From the start you're climbing out of the Soar Valley up towards Whitwick; the drag up through Woodhouse Eaves; Polly Botts Lane 20 miles in may only be 3/4 mile long but gets steeper the further you go and is used by Leics Forest CC for their hill-climb each October; the western edge of the ride and across towards Mkt Harboro is nicely rolling but once you turn north you're up and down like a whore's drawers - nothing savage but just relentless... Tilton on the Hill is so-called for a very good reason :lol: and then there's sharp little digs at Gaddesby (91 miles), up out of Ragdale (96 miles) and up over the final wold at Stanford on Soar (105 miles). You then drop back down into the Soar Valley and you're done - it's a cracking route and if you do it you'll know that Leicestershire certainly ain't flat.

You could also try the Rutland Cicle Classic at the end of April - that's another great route winding through the crumpled egg-box that is East Leicestershire / Rutland...
  • Thanks for the positive comments about the area, I'm hoping it will grow to the size and standard of my other events so I can start offering free post event food etc at this event as well.

David - you were not the only one to miss that junction, it was very difficult to find somewhere good to put the sign. I've thought about re-routing but the options are not great. I think it will need a marshal.

Ian
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I will be doing this this year, as im quite local (wigston area) but not to local to the start line!

As has been said, Leicestershire certainly isn't flat, its not the alps, but a lotta folk who havn't been here seem to get the impression it's like the Fenns round here for some reason...

Anyway, looks like there will be a few off here riding, so should be in good company, and looking forward to it...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'm thinking of doing this too - might ride out to the start as it's only 15 miles or so away - then again it is a long sportive as it is. Trying to get a group from the club interested but no takers so far - maybe nearer the day.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Just entered. Looks like a good event, looking forward to it !
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Did this last year. We live locally (Leicester) so we road to the start, intending to complete our first 150 miler. We got home and each had registered 148 miles so we had to ride round the block a couple of times before getting off!

As for the route, it is best described as "mixed" with the first half being more challenging than the second half. As an anti clockwise route, think of 12-9 as pretty hilly, 9-6 as flatter, 6-3 Hilly and lumpy, and 3-12 more downhill than up. Definitely a good one for a first 100.
  • Entries Close for this event on Weds 13th June at 23:59

Enter Here https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=644

Cheers

Ian Penrose
    Organizer
  • Last orders 11:59 tonight.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Wish I had seen this earlier, doing flat in fens now on the Sunday don't think my legs can take 2 bigs days in a row. Maybe next year.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • alywbwfc
    alywbwfc Posts: 9
    Weather forecast isn't looking good for this :-/
  • SV Gary
    SV Gary Posts: 21
    It was a good event all in all and the weather was kind given the forecast - would do it again next year. Could do with a few more attendees - I did 3/4 of the course without seeing anyone.

Thanks Ian for the organisation.
  • Thanks Gary, yes, entries were a bit disappointing but there is always plenty of events on in June. I need to work harder at the promoting this event and I think a middle distance will help the numbers. Glad you enjoyed it. Tough old day out but as you say, not as bad as it might have been.
  • alywbwfc
    alywbwfc Posts: 9
    I opted for the shorter route due to the weather, only really got wet last 45 mins. Thanks for the organisation. Feed stop was the best ive seen so far. Only time i allow myself to eat whst i want so was loving the millionaires shortbread flapjacks etc mmm (drooling)