First MTB - Ebay?

NeilMick
NeilMick Posts: 98
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Have been road cycling for the past couple of years however in this weather the appeal of a mountain bike is ever increasing, the bike below is just up the road from me, just wondering whether it would be adequate as a first bike?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARRERA-KRAKEN-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-MTB-18-27-SPEED-ALLOY-FRAME-DISC-FULL-SRAM-SERVICED-/160701179819?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item256a8967ab

Thanks,

Neil

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That silver colour scheme is quite old, circa 2006 (My MTB is 2006 and was a silver Kraken until resprayed), as such £175 is a bit steep, the cable discs are not the best either.

If it is in absolute tip top condition and you get a bit of backup I guess it's just about worth it, but to be honest you should be looking at paying circa £120-140 for a 2006 Kraken. It depends how much having a bike that is (presumably) serviced and 100% good is worth to you.

Simon

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Looks like a local dealer of sorts. Why not ask how old it is and see if you can take it for a spin first? You will spend loads more on your second bike if the bug bites you, so if you can get a serviceable steed on the cheap it may actually save you money medium term.
  • Right, went and had a look at some in a shop today and I sat on a small (16") and a medium (18") Giant.

The small something didn't quite seem right about it, I felt very compacted and upright compared to my road bike, is this a normal position to have on a MTB? When I got on the medium it felt a more natural position, however I only had about a 1" gap when stood over the frame, which doesnt seem enough.

Help!

:?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Whatever feels best! But MTBs do tend to be more upright.
  • I was just a bit concerned about the lack of clearance for the family jewles, not had any kids yet and might want some! Maybe I need to look at some different geometry bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have ridden many size frames and due to severely limited talent, fall off a lot. I have never caught my knackers on the crossbar. I have hooked them on the saddle a few times getting off, or sat on them getting on. Obviously due to my giant obvious.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I too seem to prefer dramatic dismounts to conventional ones, height of cross bar is not an issue (lots of other injuries though!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.