Which Hydration Pack

kene
kene Posts: 47
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi
looking to buy a new hydration pack looking at Osprey viper 10 or Raptor 10 or Camelbak Mule reviws are about the same Camelbak £49 , viper £60 and Raptor £71 never had either at mo got a deuter looking like the viper at mo unless some one can convince me otherwise thanks Ken

Comments

• depends on what you want to put in it. i looked at the Mule and thought yeah thats perfect, but in real life its alot smaller than you think. i dont think it would be enough for a days riding somewhere like Peaks, Lakes, Highlands etc.

for that you would want something like Blowfish or HAWG. not sure about the other ones you mentioned, have a look at there holding capacities, both for water and tools.

anything over about 15l is generally a decent sized pack. In my opinion of course.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    octane 18l has a nice bladder and is dead light. More than enough for riding off road for me. For commuting where I need kit to be built burly and a bit more capacity I have a dakine nomad with a camelbak bladder
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Find local stockists, have a look and a try on. Remember that with all of them, there will be less room when the bladder is full. I have a Camelbak Lobo and a Mule. The Lobo for when I ride alone or with mates, the Mule for riding with kids, carrying extra shrts, jackets etc. 3l usually lasts three hours and I am rarely more than three hours away from a tap. They come out of the washing machine as new and seem bomb proof after three years abuse.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Again, depends how much shite you carry Osprey are nice but try and pick up a Dakine in the sales.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have a dakine nomad and an apex. with camel bak bladders.. cant fault them the apex is plenty big enough for all my kit, even photography equipment..
    our has one of those evoc bags there prety dam impressive to..
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have a Karrimor refuel 8+2, been using it for about 3 years and its going strong. It has a largish 8 litre storage space + a small zip pocket and a big 2l bladder. The only downside is there is no string mesh to stuff things in to. It does have plenty of loops for lights and a very comfortable and airy back mount. They go for 30-40 quid
  • vmgscot
    vmgscot Posts: 120
    I currently use an old CamelBak Mule, it's fine for most of my riding (trails centres or local bashes up to 3 hours) but I occasionally wish for slightly larger pack for longer (day) rides and use off the bike (light hiking). I would probably get a HAWG or similar next time for that versatility. Always found the CB bladders to be the best - whatever pack you get.
    vmgscot
  • I have the Camelbak Mule and a Hawg. The Mule is the one I use 90% of the time. Its great for 3/4 hour rides. The latest Camelbak bladder is excellent. The older ones tended to be a bit difficult to open but these are quick n easy.
    The Hawg is great for longer rides or those rides where you need to take extra gear.
    Recomended.
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er