Converting solid axle to hollow (front)

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My Retro Gary Fisher is running a nutted front axle, but I'd like to convert to QR to save me carrying a spanner (or worse - forgeting to carry a spanner!), however every spare hollow front axle i have is a smaller diameter and the cones from the solid axle, while sort of fitting, don't fit properly. I can't use the cones on the hollow axle as they are too small an OD for the seals in the hub (Formula RBP). Can I get a hollow front axle that will take the cones etc from the solid axle, or is it sized as a rear axle and I need to get one and cut it shorter?

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the measurements, as I have seen various qr axle sizes over the years. If you can get the diameter and TPIthen can match up.
  • The Rookie
    OK SS, thanks, will get out the die set tomorrow and see if I can get a thread, but at a guess I'd say M10 fine....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Actually, having looked about, cant see any 111mmfront axles... may have to cut down a rear 146mm afterall.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    OK SS, thanks, will get out the die set tomorrow and see if I can get a thread, but at a guess I'd say M10 fine....

Simon
    M10 was an option on some shimano front hubs.
    But a 3/8 front axle should be fine. The cones should be ok.

Got pics of your set up just to see if there is anything that is out of the norm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Problem solved, in digging around for a rear to check the cones etc on I've found a larger diameter front I'd put in the wrong tub that has the right threads, and for info, yes, it is the same as the standard rears I had in the same tub, just goes to show the value of not chucking stuff out!

Simon