What headphones?

angry_bird
angry_bird Posts: 3,786
edited January 2012 in The hub
So I'm after some fairly reasonable, not super expensive but better than the crap ones that came with the iphone headphones.

Not too bothered about on ear, in ear or over ear even, just after something with fairly good sound quality that's ok at blocking outside noise. I've had a few pairs of sennheiser in ear jobbys in the past but every single pair broke without fail and in the end I just got fed up with having them replaced... got a fairly decent pair

Budget wise, I'm sure I could scrounge together £70ish if needs must, obviously I'm not looking at anything amazing and the less I pay the better, but something fairly decent that I could use when I settle down to work in uni and not get annoyed with the poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just to throw a spanner in the works go try some B&W C5s more than you want to spend but......

Having worked through a pile of different ones for my iDevices over the years. I am happy with these for the money.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I've just got some Sennheiser CX680, which are in ear with a little fin that keeps them in place and must admit I'm impressed with them in both fit for for not coming loose and sound. I had a pair of Sony MDR-AS40EX which are part of their active range but amazingly not sweat or waterproof and failed, the CX680 are sweat and waterproof and better sound quality too. I paid £36 for them from Costco but PCwoorld were doing them for £43 with the 20% off just before Christmas.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    +1 for senheiser CX range.

Also find the skull candy range between £30-40 to reasonably good.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • I was trying a load of one/over ear headphones as I wanted some for xmas but decided I wanted bike stuff instead.

My conclusion was that Seinheiser make some bloody brilliant headphones.

Skull Candy came out a little tinny, Bose were too expensive to justify as the Seineiser did the same if not better for cheaper, Sony tended to be to very base oriented so were only really good if you listed to 'banging tunez' and then there were a few other makes that were there or there abouts but didn't feel as comfortable.

The HD205 and HD215 were brilliant.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

Also find the skull candy range between £30-40 to reasonably good.

Very very poor 'phones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    If you're buying Sennheiser, buy them from a proper seller, not through Amazon Marketplace or Ebay. There's loads of fakes out there. I have the Sennheiser Eco headphones you can get through Amazon (relabelled CX300s I think) and they're fantastic. They also come in a decent box, instead of one of those blister-pack monstrosities.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Cheers for the suggestions so far.

Would love a pair of B&W but just a bit out of budget. Never really been impressed by skull candy, looks like Sennheiser may be the way forward then. Will pop down to town at some point tomorrow and see if there's any about for trying, HMV used to have a big wall of headphones, not sure if they still have, not been into Burton, other than to the bike shop for a good 6 months now :shock:
  • Marshall Major headphones are pretty good to my ears, but they might not be to everyone's taste for fit.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shures.

Had Shure e2c for ages and they've been excellent. In-ear type with buds that act as noise isolating, and with the right fit they given excellent sound quality. Found they work best with the disposable foam buds.

They don't do them now but there are similar replacements they do with washable foam buds. The washable rubber buds are generally rubbish however. The foam stuff moulds to the ear better.