Training advice needed.

Dave1441
Dave1441 Posts: 96
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hi I'm new to road cycling and this forum. I got a road bike and have been riding it about 10 miles each day I've had it (I've had it about a week). Next year in July I am planning to ride coast to coast with a group of friends, for those of you that don't know coast2coast is a 190 mile walk and we will be on roads following the path as best as possible on our bikes. We plan to do approximately 35 miles a day so the whole ride would take us about 5 or 6 days. So basically what I'm asking for is some more experienced cyclists to help me figure out a training plan so I will be ready for the ride when the time comes.

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For that distance per day you'd really not need to train. What will you do with the rest of the day ? You'd be spending 4 hours a day cycling and having the rest of it off ?

Go out this week and see if you can't do a 35 mile ride.
    And basically all you need to do is ride your bike - buildup the stamina and work on extending your long rides.
    You'll be restricted by the weakest member of the group too so there's no point in you training really well if someone rocks up with absolutely none.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Just keep riding and gradually increase the length of your rides. To be honest, 35 miles a day for 5 or 6 days is not hard, if you cycle fairly regularly between now and the summer you'll be fine, even if you are completely new to it. Try to work up to some longer rides of 50 miles+ at the weekends
  • Ok thankyou for your posts neem and cougie ill take them into consideration. I'll probably talk to them and see if we could do more miles each day.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Also make sure you allow time for recovery - take days off or even weeks off now and again and vary the distances you ride for. Better at this stage to go for a longer ride and then take a day or two off than to try to go out and do the same distance every single day.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Just a quick one, maybe try get the 190 miles over 2 days :)

It's very doable, if you start increasing the mileage gently over the coming months.
  • Ok I'll tell them what you guys have told me. Thanks
  • I've only been bcd on a road bike for a couple of months & looking to do coast to coast but Plan to do this in 2 or 3 days, 10 miles may seem like a lot mow but believe me in a few weeks you will think nothing of 2 or 3 times that as a warm up spin.
    Get the others in the group involved in regular rides out to build up everyones ability, but most of all enjoy the training & good luck, welcome to your new expensive hobby, it's addictive-)
    Good luck with the coast to coast
    Steve
  • I think your biggest problem will be saddle bum, so extending your time in the saddle will be most advantageous. 35 miles isn't that far but it can seem like far too long if your saddle is uncomfortable. If you use padded shorts try a couple of days without, then if you do get sore you have somewhere to go.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com