Hope V2 vs X2 EVO - diffference?

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Whats the difference between a Hope Tech V2 brake 2011 and the new X2?

Ive just brought a spanking new rear V2, and am trying to match it with the front, most places online are bringing up X2 Evo....

Any ideas?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is the Tech Evo X2 and Race Evo X2, the latter uses a lighter, less adjustable lever and lighter pads. more of XC really, especially the Race.

The Tech Evo V2 gets the Tech lever and the adjustability, but the caliper is much heftier for increased heat dissipation and toughness. Comes with a bigger rotor too I believe.
  • supersonic wrote:
    There is the Tech Evo X2 and Race Evo X2, the latter uses a lighter, less adjustable lever and lighter pads. more of XC really, especially the Race.

The Tech Evo V2 gets the Tech lever and the adjustability, but the caliper is much heftier for increased heat dissipation and toughness. Comes with a bigger rotor too I believe.

Is there any actual difference between the Tech EVO X2 and the Tech V2, they look exactly the same, with the same lever etc, is it just the 'evo' stamp and a rename?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The caliper - the X2 caliper is a much lighter affair. Basically Tech/Race are levers, X2/V2 are calipers, and EVO just means new ;-)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    X2s are Hopes XC brakeset and are the least powerful of the range. V2s are Hopes Downhill brakeset and are the most powerful of the range.

Note V2 calipers won't work with standard rotors, you will need the V2 specific rotor as the braking surface is wider than normal.

I have heard a rumour that you can run X2 pads in the V2 caliper and use standard rotors although I've not tried it so it's still only a rumour.

EVO relates to the new lever design, they have re-positioned the lever pivot to give more power, it's a re-design (evolution) of the Tech lever hence the name.