Advice req'd - Scott Scale 50 upgrade options

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've had my Scott Scale 50 for about 18 months and have been thinking about upgrading to a full suspension. As funds are tight I thought about getting a full suspension frame and moving my parts across to the new frame. My parts are still in good order as I haven't done that much mileage due to an injury.

A LBS has offered me a new 2011 Spark 40 frame (i.e. not the newest style just released) with the DT Swiss M210 Rear Shock for €700. I have Rock Shox Recon SL solo air 100mm forks, XT rear mech and SLX front mech, SLX shifters, Elixir 5 brakes, with DT Swiss Rims, basically all the standard equipment that came with the Scale 50.

The equivalent equipped Scott Spark would cost around €1800-€2100. Do you think this would be a good way to go? I was told I'd only get around €550-€600 for my bike if I sold it, so it would still leave me quite short if I sell mine and buy a new Spark. I hope I'd be able to sell my frame for €200-€300 to recover some of the Spark's frame cost.

A couple of things concern me though. My front mech is a top pull where the Spark frame is set up for a down pull front mech, i.e. the cable routes below the bottom bracket. Are the front mechs 'reversible' or will I require a new one? Also, it there any issue with the cables running under the bottom mech. Aren't they more prone to fouling up with crud or being damaged?

Also, the Spark's rear shock linkage system seems simple compared to the vertical shock multi-link setup seen on the Treks and Spesializeds. Is the Scott system inferior in any way? Would I be better off going for a frame from a different manufacturer? I liked the idea of the Spark frame being from the same family as it should make switching the parts over easy as they would have similar fit. I exspect I may require new cables and possibly new brake hoses if mine turn out too short.

I haven't looked at other frames yet as I didn't go into the LBS looking for frames but spotted the Spark frame and the idea developed from there. I have no clue what frames generally cost but thought €700 wasn't a bad deal.

Any ideas or opinions welcome.

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I don't really know about the front mech, maybe someone else knows more about this.

I wouldn't worry about the Sparks frame being a different design to other makes, I've had mine for nearly 3 years and love it. It's a great bike and you won't be disappointed if you go ahead with your build good luck with it.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isn't the Spark a 120mm front end?
    Some parts might fit, some might not.
    Just because it's the same manufacturer doesn't mean compatibility.
    And front mechs aren't reversible, although some are dual pull.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Most front mechs are dual pull these days - the mounting may be a bigger issue. Sparks generally use a bottom bracket mounted 'e-type' front mech. Is that what yours is? Not really a deal breaker either way, frot mechs aren't too pricey.

I sincerely doubt you'll get €200 for your Scale frame, more likely to be half that I suspect.

The way the Spark rides is personal, they're very active, and require you to use the lockout a fair bit to get the most from them. The 50 just has the Monarch shock, as opposed to the DT nude doesn't it? I'd try and get a test ride first, I wasn't particularly impressed with how it rode.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Isn't the Spark a 120mm front end?
    Some parts might fit, some might not.
    Just because it's the same manufacturer doesn't mean compatibility.
    And front mechs aren't reversible, although some are dual pull.
    Yes the Sparks are 120mm front end but they were originally 100mm. I'm not sure when the change was made and whether any change was made to the frame at the same time. This is a big issue really as there is no point in building a it if the geometry is going to be messed up. I don't really want to be spending more on a fork at the moment so this could be the deal breaker. I'll also need to check with the LBS about the part compatibility.
    njee20 wrote:
    Most front mechs are dual pull these days - the mounting may be a bigger issue. Sparks generally use a bottom bracket mounted 'e-type' front mech. Is that what yours is? Not really a deal breaker either way, front mechs aren't too pricey.

I sincerely doubt you'll get €200 for your Scale frame, more likely to be half that I suspect.

The way the Spark rides is personal, they're very active, and require you to use the lockout a fair bit to get the most from them. The 50 just has the Monarch shock, as opposed to the DT nude doesn't it? I'd try and get a test ride first, I wasn't particularly impressed with how it rode.
    Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by the ride is very active? Do you mean a lot of bob, bounciness, bad damping or just that you have to work the lock-out a lot.

I'm not sure about the front mech mounting. I'll have to go look properly but as you say they're not that pricey so I don't mind replacing it. As for the rear shock, the frame I was shown was a Spark 40 which had a DT Swiss shock on it.

I'm starting to think that this was a nice idea but in reality not that practical. I did spot a few UK places selling the 2011 Spark 35 greatly reduced to~£1500 so that would be the better route I think if I wanted the Spark and if I can get €500-600 for my Scale 50 as the LBS suggests. But then if I'm buying a new bike there may be better options with other discounted brands. For some reason I am drawn to the Spark - to me they look great. Decisions...I wish I didn't walk into that LBS now :roll:
    andy46 wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about the Sparks frame being a different design to other makes, I've had mine for nearly 3 years and love it. It's a great bike and you won't be disappointed if you go ahead with your build good luck with it.
    Thanks for the encouragement :D
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Do you mean a lot of bob, bounciness, bad damping or just that you have to work the lock-out a lot.

All of that - they ride alright if you're on the lockout the whole time, but IMO their USP is their low weight, which the 50 isn't, only the carbon ones. I'd sooner have a Top Fuel 8 or Epic Comp or something personally. YMMV of course.

Don't worry about the geometry, they've gradually changed to 120mm, leaving only the RC as 100mm, but they've not made any changes to the frame, just slackened the head angle, so it'll be fine with a 100mm fork.

Dunno where you are, but I'd have thought your LBS is over estimating second hand value anyway - you can get a new Scale 50 for £900, so €600 for a second hand one is a lot - depending on condition and what not.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Do you mean a lot of bob, bounciness, bad damping or just that you have to work the lock-out a lot.

All of that - they ride alright if you're on the lockout the whole time, but IMO their USP is their low weight, which the 50 isn't, only the carbon ones. I'd sooner have a Top Fuel 8 or Epic Comp or something personally. YMMV of course.

Don't worry about the geometry, they've gradually changed to 120mm, leaving only the RC as 100mm, but they've not made any changes to the frame, just slackened the head angle, so it'll be fine with a 100mm fork.

Dunno where you are, but I'd have thought your LBS is over estimating second hand value anyway - you can get a new Scale 50 for £900, so €600 for a second hand one is a lot - depending on condition and what not.
    Thanks. I'm starting to look at other options now, athough the Spark 35 (carbon frame) at £1500 is tempting. I'll need to try find one to test ride first though. The Canyon Nerve XC 8 also looks appealing.

I'm in Portugaland the LBS basically said that second hand price of a A1 condition bike is calculated by deducting 30% for the first year then 10% for each year thereafter. I was surprised when he told me this. If I can get €500-€600 for the Scale 50 then I'd be happy but until the money is in my hand I'll take it with a pinch of salt.