Boardman Pro FS vs Team FS

baser
baser Posts: 127
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I am going to buy myself a new bike, I have a 2008 Boardman HT Pro which I love to bits but my riding is becoming more trail than XC and the poor old girl is taking a beating, I am spending more time fixing it than riding it. Also I have the cash so why not spend it!

I have been looking for a bike more designed for jumps and a good hammering at trail centres. I have been looking at a selection of full sussers and have come to the conclusion I am going to buy another Boardman. Mainly VFM, easy access for warranties and I like the one I already have!

So the question is, with the FS Pro having £300 off at the moment is it worth £500 more than the team? I can only find reviews of the team.

The Pro is here

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777729_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab

The Team is here

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777745_categoryId_165499_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1

Comments

• why have they jumped the retail price of the pro ? it used to be 1599, now they've put it up to 1799. Not really much of a then sale is it ? The team looks like good value though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Exactly - Halfords are artificially manipulating the prices. I keep complaining about it!
  • Could it be that boardmam are dictating the price ? Had been keeping an eye on the pro for when the sales came around. When i noticed this it made me laugh. Boardman are known for value, but not with this.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WIll be Halfords, just look at some of the half price deals on rat bikes! Were never worth the RRP!
  • baser
    I understand the Pro might not be as big a bargin as Halfords are making out but are we saying buy the team as its better value? Or spend the extra £500 and buy the Pro?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    baser wrote:
    I understand the Pro might not be as big a bargin as Halfords are making out but are we saying buy the team as its better value? Or spend the extra £500 and buy the Pro?
    sounds to me like they have been selling a lot more Team's than Pro's, so they have bumped the price on the pro, so on sale they can still knock it out for more or less its standard value, you cant dispute that the pro has the better spec, you really need to ask yourself, if you bought the team, would you eventually want to upgrade it?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Go for the Pro, I did, lol!

I ordered the Pro on Christmas day and got it for £1170 after Quidco, thought it was worth the extra £300 or £400 over the Team, and it seems like a cracking bike so far, only done 20 miles or so though!
  • n punshon
    n punshon Posts: 288
    I have the Boardman FS team that I have been riding for the last month and once you set the rear shock up correctly its fantastic. I am running the stock frame and forks but with other components but I have run the components listed such as the brakes and X7 drivetrain on other bikes and there's nothing there you are going to regret. When you look at the main differences they are things like rock shox Sector bolt throughs on the team versus rock shox revelation bolt throughs on the pro, I have both of the these forks anyway and there's not much difference. Yes X9 is nicer than X7 but is the overall package really £500 nicer??? I say buy either as they will be great but the team is the best value for money.

Found 30% sag to work the best by the way, wasnt happy with the rear shock at 20 and 25% sag but set at 30% the ride all falls into place and you get a nice compliant ride in all conditions and make the most of the relatively slack for XC angles which really work well on this bike.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    n punshon wrote:

Mind if I PM you for some help setting my shocks up? :twisted:
  • n punshon
    n punshon Posts: 288
    No problem but its very much personal taste. I dont like to feel like I am riding on top of the bike so I like the bike to sag more so you sit into the travel more. I also feel like that helps a lot more when you are going down hill as the bike absorbs any obstacles better as your weight is into the bike. I also found a big difference in performance when changing the rebound settings.
  • baser
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Which ever bike I buy will end up being upgraded like my 08 Pro hard tail. The Pro might not be as big a bargin as the Team but I think the X9 over X7, Revs over Sektors and rear maxale has made my decission.

Now what Trail wheels........................... X0 over X9.........................Fox RP23 rear shock................. :D:lol::D

Thanks for all your help and a Happy New Year to all!!