Your ideas on my first road bike

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,424
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi
I want to buy my first 'real' road bike. Need some advice/reassurance etc. Don't want to go over £1000 (as I am buying 2 bikes - one for mrs team47b). We choose not to own a car so have fast hybrids (Ridgeback) which are our sole transport system, trailers for shopping and touring, great serve-all purposes bikes.
But we want some fun, speed, riding for the sake of it, spend even more time cycling. I like the look of the spec on the Cube streamer. What do you think?
I am 162cm tall and have an inside leg of 76cm, Mrs T is 164cm and 77cm, more relaxed less aggressive ride required. Is size 56 right on this brand, as I've heard they are quite differently sized?
Please let me know what you think.
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• jpcee
    jpcee Posts: 2
    Hi

I am a fan of Ribble bikes and for under a £1000 they have a bike which cycling active described in a test they did with other bikes under £1000 as "miles above the other bikes here ...the fastest bike here is also the most comfortable." This is the Ribble Sportive Bianco. Their website is http://ribblecycles.co.uk/ . However if you want to go for the cube streamer go for it it looks a nice bike with a decent spec.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Thanks jpcee the Ribble Sportive Bianco is a good suggestion, Ribble looks like a good way to get the spec that you want. Given mrs T more choice.

Ta.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • +1 for the Ribble, the Streamer looks good but is expensive for a 7005 Aluminium frame when you can get carbon for less than a grand and to a custom spec. I have had 3 Ribbles and they do get good reviews.
  • Pru
    Pru Posts: 53
    Don't forget to check the special edition bikes section if you go for the Ribble, money to be saved!
  • With regards to the Mrs, google Trek WSD.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Strangers on a forum can't tell you what's best for you. In essence the bike that's right is one that fits you and you like it (even if that means choosing based on the colour). Spec/groupset etc is secondary. Trek, Giant, Specialized, Boardman, Merida, Cannondale, Genesis and lots more.... there's so much choice! Do some online research, visit a few shops and try some for size. While all the main brands are excellent they're not identical. Happy hunting.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Ribble for me,i have had a couple.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap