Bar / stem advice

t0pc4t
t0pc4t Posts: 947
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am thinking about dipping my toe into the shorter stem / wider bar thing. I ride a Giant Anthem X4 round Swinley forest and was thinking of going for a Renthal fatbar with 20mm rise and the Renthal Duo stem.

The key reason for making that choice (of those bars and stem) is that they look pukka.

One thing that does strike me is that at 50mm and up to 780mm width, is that total overkill? I figured I could cut the bar down if needed.
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    renthal are good,, but that could be considered over kill for trail riding.. i think it's down to personal choice,,
    i can say from experience dropping to a shorter stem (from a 90mm with 680 bars) with wider bars did make a huge difference to my riding,, especially as i was in whistler at the time...

i run
    50 mm sunline vone stem and chromag fubar accutes 710mm bars on my hardtail.
    50mm chromag ranger stem and chromag fubar os 735mm bars on my full suss am/trail bike.
    45mm spesh oem stem and pro vanderham bars 745mm on my dh/park bike..

i would consider the renthal bars and stem for my dh/park bike they look amazing and score really good reviews...
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    figure I can probably sell on ebay if I really hate them, thanks for the feedback
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I have gone for longer bars, went through a few sets before I got what I'm happy with (got them second hand at good prices). Ended up with the nukeproof warhead bars at the full 760mm length with a 80mm stem, odd set-up for a AM bike but it works for me.

I got the nukeproofs for £15 delivered, so there are bargins out there if you keep an eye out.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I use the Renthals at 750mm with a Raceface Atlas 6 degree, 70mm stem on the Evil Sovereign and 780mm with Duo stem which is 10 degree 50mm on the GT Force. Both sets of bars are the 20mm rise versions and feel so natural to me but I'm very broad shouldered too, I had tried the 720mm, 38mm rise version on the GT Force but it didn't feel right at all.
    I used to be a fan of Easton bars but the Renthals feel so much better even if they are heavier.