Wet n Wild

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Another stunning day up here - 35mph gusting to 45mph mixed with plenty of rain. 60mph gusts on Boxing day. Snow lurking about nearby.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :shock:

Just looking at the map. Are you closer to Stavanger than you are to London?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

Yes 8) People really don't realise how far away Inverness is. I'm from Cambridge and it's as far from the Scottish border to Inverness as it is from Cambridge to the Scottish border.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    And it was yesterday I picked to hit the shops. The one day of the week that was to have decent weather :roll:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Beautiful weather here in North Wales today! You can even see the sun!

I went for a wet and windy ride on Boxing day, 25 miles in torrential rain and gusting winds. On the plus side there was a tail wind on the return home and I averaged 23mph :) It was a little slower on the way out though ;)
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Don't worry - the wind is forecast to pick up later today, for down here (Edinburgh) metoffice showed around 35Mph earlier this morning, will be hitting 60+ late afternoon/evening.
    Inverness only getting 50Mph.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Yes People really don't realise how far away Inverness is. I'm from Cambridge and it's as far from the Scottish border to Inverness as it is from Cambridge to the Scottish border.

That is incredible.

I'm not sure I can believe it really.

Why on earth would someone leave Cambridge to go to Inverness. Smells fishy to me.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cjcp wrote:

Yes 8) People really don't realise how far away Inverness is. I'm from Cambridge and it's as far from the Scottish border to Inverness as it is from Cambridge to the Scottish border.

Loads of things surprise you if you look at maps. Eg, where I am in Leeds I am nearer to Amsterdam than Exeter. When I was in the Rocky Mountains in British Columbia, with a minus 40 windchill off a glacier, I was barely further North than Edinburgh. The Orkneys are about as far North as Tierra del Fuego is South.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yes People really don't realise how far away Inverness is. I'm from Cambridge and it's as far from the Scottish border to Inverness as it is from Cambridge to the Scottish border.

That is incredible.

Why on earth would someone leave Cambridge to go to Inverness. Smells fishy to me.
    I blame the BBC's very misleading weather map.
    article002a68ec30000044.jpg
    Looking at this London to Cardiff (150miles) is a good deal further than Carlisle to Lerwick (450 miles)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Yes People really don't realise how far away Inverness is. I'm from Cambridge and it's as far from the Scottish border to Inverness as it is from Cambridge to the Scottish border.

That is incredible.

Scotland's land mass isn't much smaller than England's.

I absolutely love it up here. I work for a blue-chip multinational that would look more at home on th M4 corridor yet have a large, open-plan SuperE house in half an acre looking out over the sea with snow-capped mountains in the distance. The quality of life is fabulous. There's not as much "culture" or shopping as Cambridge but there's very little crime, very little traffic, and even hills! We even have an international airport.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    And Nessy nay forgaet.
  • rolf_f
    We even have an international airport.

It has as many as one flight per day to Carlisle :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    We even have an international airport.

It has as many as one flight per day to Carlisle :lol:

Excuuuuse me! It actually goes to Amsterdam these days. It's so easy to use too - you can walk from the car park to the check-in desk in about 3 minutes - it's my favourite airport and, believe me, I've seen a few.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    it's my favourite airport and, believe me, I've seen a few.
    Better than Stornoway ? On the left side going down to Edinburgh ?

Never been to Barra. That surely has to be the one to beat.
  • rolf_f
    Excuuuuse me! It actually goes to Amsterdam these days. It's so easy to use too - you can walk from the car park to the check-in desk in about 3 minutes - it's my favourite airport and, believe me, I've seen a few.

I know what you mean - small airports are so civilised! My favourite this year was Tromso. You could probably chuck a stone over the terminal roof from the drop off rank and hit a plane with it! :lol:
  • Another stunning day up here - 35mph gusting to 45mph mixed with plenty of rain. 60mph gusts on Boxing day. Snow lurking about nearby.
    Yes. Delightful here as well - 60 to 70mph gusts, horizontal rain with accompanying horizontal wheelie-bins!
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Rolf F wrote:

I know what you mean - small airports are so civilised! My favourite this year was Tromso. You could probably chuck a stone over the terminal roof from the drop off rank and hit a plane with it! :lol:

Linkoping is like that - I swear the baggage handler was the customs officer and the hire car clerk!
  • Another stunning day up here - 35mph gusting to 45mph mixed with plenty of rain. 60mph gusts on Boxing day. Snow lurking about nearby.
    Yes. Delightful here as well - 60 to 70mph gusts, horizontal rain with accompanying horizontal wheelie-bins!

Yup - we're up to 60 mph gusts and had to dodge a few wheelie bins on the way back from giving blood.