Grangers or Nikwax wash in proofing

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Got some new waterproof breathables I want to keep in good condition and some older gear I would like to bring back to life. Always just rinsed my breathable gear in the shower in the past but that does nothing for the coating which wears off particulary where the rucsack straps rub.

Whats your favourite proofer out of the two or which other brand do you prefer.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I use nixwax. No complaints.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Just to put it out there, i get on very well with grangers
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    either or my cupboard is stocked with both,, go for which ever you can find cheapest is usually my option..

they both work really well and do the job.....
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Just use fabric conditioner only (comfort etc), on a low temp wash cycle and tumble dry. Cheap as chips and out performs the two above. Was tested by a uni department if I remember, and beat them both hands down on longevity of repeat treatment. Unsurprisingly the brand names above are trying to keep it quiet.
    Peter
  • stubs
    DF33 wrote:
    Just use fabric conditioner only (comfort etc), on a low temp wash cycle and tumble dry. Cheap as chips and out performs the two above. Was tested by a uni department if I remember, and beat them both hands down on longevity of repeat treatment. Unsurprisingly the brand names above are trying to keep it quiet.

Thought conditioner was a big NO NO. Clogs up the micropores or something can you remember which Uni I have had a quick google but nothing come up.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Nikwax user here.

Remember you cant use it in the washing machine if you have a breathable jacket as it will make the inside water proof too.

You would be better off washing in techwash and reproofing the outside with a spray.

Dave.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i thought this was a no no as it killed the dwr coating that manufactures use... and my waterproof garments cant go in the tumbledryer...
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I've only ever used Nikwax Techwash and then TX direct reproofer and never had any problems. The Techwash even managed to clean up my motorbike gear with it's ingrained fly guts.
  • spray on reproofer then cure with hairdrier
  • stubs
    Got a good deal on a bottle of Nikwax Techwash and a bottle of Nikwax TX wash in reproofer. The guy in the shop said use the techwash 4 times then on the 5th wash use the wash in reproofer. He also said dont use my usual method of wash them in the shower and then throw them in the shed to go mouldy. Apparently green mildew isnt good for breathability :lol: