Let's try and get more cycling on ITV...

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited December 2011 in Pro race
http://cyclopunk.blogspot.com/2011/12/l ... n-box.html
...we decided to get in contact with ITV, the channel that shows footage from the Grand Tours and - when we're lucky - highlights from the various other ASO cycle races to which they have British broadcasting rights and see if perhaps they might now be considering showing a bit more ...if enough people take the time to contact the broadcaster and ask the same thing, who knows what might happen? You can email them at viewerservices@itv.com

Worth a go.
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    screw that.. the amount of adverts they lash into cycling on ITV is shocking. I think there was a thread on here a while back about it. A 1 hour segment of cycling had 35 mins worth of adverts.. takes the piss..

If your really serious about cycling on TV, get yourself a motorized dish and sat receiver and you'll have more cycling then you could ever watch..
    cartoon.jpg
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Is the old astra Satellite still going? The German one.
    I used to get free eurosport there. A fair bit of German but the cycling was in English.
    I may be needing that again some time if it's still running.

Cheers Jerry

PS-Yeah, more cycling on telly.
    So much cycling on the the sky eurosport sometimes it's a job to ride my bike!
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Eurosport is still free on the German satellite (19.2e), tho soon the analogue signal will be switched off and it will be viewable only in German language.

Rai Sport 1 & 2 show cycling on Italian satellite (13.0e)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    Instead of contacting the TV company, you should think about contacting the companies who are making £1,000,000's out of us MAMILS and asking them to support (ie advertise) cycling on ITV. During the Vuelta d'Espana for instance no cycling related ad's were shown. Why would ITV4 show it again when it can re-run old programmes and the suppliers of stair-lifts, incontinence aids and instant loans pick up the tab?

Wiggle, CRC, Evan's Giant Trek etc are making sheds of £££ from this audience (ie US)
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Eurosport is still free on the German satellite (19.2e), tho soon the analogue signal will be switched off and it will be viewable only in German language.

Rai Sport 1 & 2 show cycling on Italian satellite (13.0e)

Indeed.
    R Sport 2's current Christmas contribution?
    They are replay their entire coverage of both this year's Giro and Tour.
    2 stages of each, per day.
    Yum yum!

I agree that it wouldn't hurt to give ITV a nudge, though. Most folks should appreciate an alternative to Eurosport subscription.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Matt Rendell tweeted a week or so back about interesting developments with the 'real peleton brand' but couldn't elaborate... as Matt & Ned are ITV's cycling people (Phil and Paul are Sweetspot aren't they?) it would be quite logical to hazard a guess of real peleton becoming tellified. Monthly round up of races say? Big race coverage - Giro, TdF, Vuelta, ToB some of the classics?

Cycling seems on the up with the general public: Cav's WC jersey - face of Head & Shoulders, mainstream magazine programmes; Brad as a genuine Tour favourite; Froome as a Giro/Vuelta favourite; the country expecting a good medal haul from the track; Team Sky doing well; Joe Public being able to name more than one British pro cyclist etc etc. We've already had some increased free to air racing, now would be the time if it were to happen.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Doobz wrote:
    screw that.. the amount of adverts they lash into cycling on ITV is shocking. I think there was a thread on here a while back about it. A 1 hour segment of cycling had 35 mins worth of adverts.. takes the wee-wee..

If your really serious about cycling on TV, get yourself a motorized dish and sat receiver and you'll have more cycling then you could ever watch..
    Very negative. Well done - attitudes like yours ensure that change for the better never rarely happens.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Herbsman wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    screw that.. the amount of adverts they lash into cycling on ITV is shocking. I think there was a thread on here a while back about it. A 1 hour segment of cycling had 35 mins worth of adverts.. takes the wee-wee..

Very negative. Well done - attitudes like yours ensure that change for the better never rarely happens.

I wouldn't say its entirely negative.. I threw in one positive and 1 negative so its quite balanced.
    cartoon.jpg
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    OK, that's sad news that analogue Eurosport is going, as it has served me well since the time I watched the Giro d'Italia with Rominger & Cipollini in a two up breakaway.

I shall have to do what "Saddles" has preached for many years about the motorised dish.
    It seems that I won't be at Het Nieuwsblad for the first time in 17 years (1995) and will have to watch it here "on stream".
    Before that time it was "Live" with Duffield on Eurosport. (back in the days when he was a great commentator)

I remember long ago (before that newsheet called "The Sun" started up) we had a campagn to the Daily Mirror and the response they published in Cycling Weekly was.
    It is not newsworthy and so we give the public what they want. ie Football & Horse Racing.

It will be Olympic year and we could make a few more friends if we win something.
    Just think BOX Hill and the A25, my old training roads but sometimes up Pebblecoombe instead. (once up that one would be enough for the Olympics)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972