Orange Five AM Frame

sirichmond
sirichmond Posts: 250
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Afternoon all,

Quick one is the Orange Five AM the same frame as the standard Orange Five frame.

Cheers
Si

http://www.allthegearnoidea.net

Yorkshire & North East MTB

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    its the standard frame with the Maxle and Kashima upgrades.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, just the same frame, messed up with too much fork.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • delcol wrote:
    and they both crack...

Dude, do you say that every time you see the word orange?
  • Orange and crack? sounds like a new ghetto cocktail to me.

Fo' Shizzle!
  • They do crack you are correct, a mates cracked this year but got a brand new frame with colour upgrade from Orange so good customer service. Lets face it all frames can crack.

http://www.allthegearnoidea.net

Yorkshire & North East MTB
  • Northwind
    Aye. You see quite a few broken ones but then, you see a lot of Fives. It's just irritating that owners bang on about how bombproof they are, right up til they break.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    sirichmond wrote:
    They do crack you are correct, a mates cracked this year but got a brand new frame with colour upgrade from Orange so good customer service. Lets face it all frames can crack.

then that one cracks to just like my mate who is on his 3rd one..

another mate cracked his with in 2 weeks of having it...

orange do replace them.. so not bad customer service but why not sort the problem out..
    delcol wrote:
    and they both crack...

Dude, do you say that every time you see the word orange?

because they do,, i seen 4 this year..
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    But how many fives have you seen this year?
    Lets compare this to say Ancillottis. Approximately how many of those have you seen crack this year? And how many have you actually seen?

The words "broken record" come to mind....

P.S. I've seen a lot of Oranges this year (not just fives), and I've only seen/heard of one within my riding friends that's cracked, and that was a 224. And I know at least 7 or 8 people with oranges.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • delcol
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Lets compare this to say Ancillottis. Approximately how many of those have you seen crack this year? And how many have you actually seen?

P.S. I've seen a lot of Oranges this year (not just fives), and I've only seen/heard of one within my riding friends that's cracked, and that was a 224. And I know at least 7 or 8 people with oranges.

eh..
    the thread is about orange 5s and thats what i answered i seen 4 2011 orange 5 cracked this year, and if you want a report of what i seen crack this year.
    intense, not sure what frame it was.
    scott voltage fr
    lapierre froggy thing,
    transition, not sure what frame it was

as for records dude we not in the 70's anymore.. there are things called ipods google them you may be surprised :wink: :P :P :P :mrgreen:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You missed my point. Probably the reason you've seen so many cracked oranges is because every man and his dog has one. Same goes for the scott, the lapierre and well, the intense is just an intense....
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • delcol
    ah ok...

to be honest i dont see that many oranges round here..

and all the others were in whistler, and whislter is hard on bikes..
  • Northwind
    Orange have taken steps in the right direction though... They've increased some of the warranties, though they're still not generous. And after years of treating owners like crap, they do now handle out-of-warranty claims far better than they used to. I think they realised you can't trade on an unfounded reputation forever, sooner or later people notice. But whatever the cause, it's good news for riders.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Aye, just the same frame, messed up with too much fork.

what makes you say that, give us some objective reasons please, thanks...
  • delcol wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

eh..
    the thread is about orange 5s and thats what i answered i seen 4 2011 orange 5 cracked this year, and if you want a report of what i seen crack this year.
    scott voltage fr
    lapierre froggy thing,

as for records dude we not in the 70's anymore.. there are things called ipods google them you may be surprised :wink: :P :P :P :mrgreen:

Considering you see about 5x more oranges out and about, of course you'll hear of 5 times more cracks.

I've seen about 100 broken Iphones go through stores here, but considering the volume that is sold, it's not a bad product.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    ilovedirt wrote:

Ooh Ancillotti I thought, been meaning to look at one of those, sound nice.

http://www.ancillotti.com/crosscountry.htm
    :shock:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Northwind
    ellaspop wrote:
    what makes you say that, give us some objective reasons please, thanks...

It's exactly what you'd expect- the Five is already a pretty slack frame, and is designed around 140mm. Sticking an extra 20mm into it slacks off the head and seat angles further and raises the BB a little. Takes a brilliant handling bike and pushes it just that wee bit too far, it wandered on climbs and felt tall and overreactive on descents. 5 inches is right for the bike.

If you want a 6-inch Orange, the Alpine or the Blood are the good choices. Alpine's fab.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All frames can and have broken. Difference with many Orange owners is that they have already decided before they have bought the bike that it is the best frame ever, so when they do break we hear nothing of it as they don't want to admit they bought a turkey ;-)
  • delcol
    delcol wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

eh..
    scott voltage fr
    lapierre froggy thing,

Considering you see about 5x more oranges out and about, of course you'll hear of 5 times more cracks.

I've seen about 100 broken Iphones go through stores here, but considering the volume that is sold, it's not a bad product.

i dont see many orange 5s round here, thats why i was shocked to hear and see pics of them cracking.

as for i phones breaking well they apple ... (apple,, orange, maybe companies named after fruits aint very good)
  • Northwind wrote:
    Takes a brilliant handling bike and pushes it just that wee bit too far, it wandered on climbs and felt tall and overreactive on descents. 5 inches is right for the bike.

If you want a 6-inch Orange, the Alpine or the Blood are the good choices. Alpine's fab.

What you need NW is to stop getting so engrossed in the theory, put your copy of dirt down and go out and ride :D

Changing a 5 from a 140mm fork to a 160mm fork will increase the BB, granted. Probably somewhere in the region of 1/4" to 1/2". Consult a ruler if you're in any doubt just how tiny that is, it's around 6-12mm. If I blind tested you on 2 bikes with each fork fitted I know for a fact you wouldn't tell the difference. Sure, psycologically there would be an effect if you knew beforehand and you'd feel like 'damn this is overly tall and ''wandery'' etc' but in reality you're just pandering to your ego.

The perceived disadvantages are exactly that...perceived! And when put into the mix with the advantages (stiffer forks, more front travel, longer front triangle, longer wheelbase and slacker head angle for descents etc) they hold even less credence.

As for a 6" Orange...the Blood...seriously. It's got 5" travel and comes as a complete bike with 140mm forks on! I agree it's a great bike though.
  • Northwind
    ellaspop wrote:
    What you need NW is to stop getting so engrossed in the theory, put your copy of dirt down and go out and ride :D

What part of my post sounds like theory? It's all straight from ridng the things. It's already a slack, long bike so adding more to it isn't the advantage you're imagining- the Five has geometry that works brilliantly as standard, all based around making a 140mm bike that does the job most folks choose a 160mm bike for, not all bikes benefit from being slackened. And a half inch difference in BB height is pretty major- I've done a lot of work on my various bikes tweaking geometry and fork height and it's very noticable once things get tricky. You might be surprised if you took your theory onto the trails tbh. Or, you might not, but don't assume that just because you can't feel something it's not there.

I'm not sure "perceived" means what you think it does btw :lol:

While we're talking of theory vs experience, your theory that the Blood is a 5 inch bike is wrong- it originally came with 160mm 36s. Orange sold it as max 160, min 140, optimum 160. The late Blood Pro came with 32s for some reason, but still said "optimum 160mm" beside it :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • NW you're certainly a fantastic internet know-it-all, maybe my problem is I can't believe anything you wax on about as I know just how slow and mediocre you actually are :D

So I'll bow out with some links to one of your favourite riders on his 160-clad Five as it over-reacts it's way down some descents...

http://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/197635

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/news/view/gary_forest_dave_mackison

Au revoir!
  • Northwind
    ellaspop wrote:
    NW you're certainly a fantastic internet know-it-all, maybe my problem is I can't believe anything you wax on about as I know just how slow and mediocre you actually are :D

Ah, I've made it to mediocre! All that hard work is paying off! I've never claimed to be fast, have I? I think I was doing not bad to be only 10 minutes behind Gary in the last enduro. (and hey, I beat Lew and Chris Ball... Kinda...)

But, you don't have to be fast to understand what a bike's doing. I wasn't fast on motorbikes but I still turned underperforming machinery more competitive. As for pushirons, I can't speak for the fastest 1% but I reckon I can speak for the 99. Bottom line is, I think it's a frame that works exceptionally well for most purposes at 140mm, and less well at 160mm, and there are other frames designed for 160mm that work better for 160mm. Not too controversial I think, after all Orange agree. (and as I say, recommend the Alpine and recommended the Blood for 160mm...) At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much what works for the best riders, if it doesn't work well for the average ones.
    Uncompromising extremist