Saracen Mantra X27

jjl5590
jjl5590 Posts: 79
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a better mountain bike, upgrading from my TERRIBLE Raleigh AT30.

I've been looking at the Saracen Mantra X27, I can get one used for £300.

Judging by the spec, it looks like a fairly competent bike:

Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline
Brakes: Quad Dime XC hydraulic disc 160/160 mm pulse rotors / custom white
Cassette: SRAM PG950 9-speed cassette 11-32T
Chain: KMC Z9000
Cranks: Truvativ FIVE D 3.0 PS 22/32/44T
Fork: SunTour XCR LO 120 mm travel with lock-out
Frame: Mantra lightweight custom butted 6061 alloy tubeset / UK-specific design / integrated headtube
Front Mech: SRAM X.5
Grips: Saracen dual-density grip - white
Handlebar: Saracen 318 Alloy OS 620 mm wide / 15 mm rise / 6 degree bend
Headset: TH No.11N A-Headset
Hubs: Formula Alloy Black 32 hole Q/R front / rear
Rear Mech: SRAM X.5
Rims: Rigida Taurus 2000 White 32 hole
Saddle: WTB-speed V Comp
Seatpost: Alloy Micro-adjust / 27.2 mm
Shifters: SRAM X.5 9-speed
Spokes: Steel 14g
Stem: Saracen 318 6061 A-Head / 7 degree rise / 31.8 mm clamp / white
Tires: Continental Mountain King 26 x 2.2 inch

I really can't spend more than £300, so this bike looks pretty good to me for that amount of money.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All depends on the condition - parts wise is not too bad, but can get similar new for not much more.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The lads Spesh P1 (2008) we got for £120, other than having cable (goo cable - Avid BB) brakes it's a similar spec to that, so unless its 2010 or newer and in very good conditionI'd say it's poor values.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alternatively, someone is offering me a Specialized Hardrock Disc Comp for £350...

Might be more worth it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or might not be.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Or perhaps a brand new GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc Hydro 2011 for £250 delivered?

Doesn't seem to have great reviews though...
  • The Rookie
    No, but for £250 it's a lot of new bike for the money.

You'll always get better value with a good used bike, but that Mantra was overpriced!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Mantra has better spec though, its got more gears, a better fork and much better brakes, the GT just has standard components.
  • Just to throw another one in the mix,

GIANT XTC 4 2009 for £330?
  • supersonic
    Is it new? Can you see it?
  • The Rookie
    The Trance is a much better buy, it has decent forks I believe and better brakes, but the paint scheme looks wrong for a 2009, I think it's older than that (may be a 2008 sold in 2009....)

Simon
  • Trance?
  • To throw yet ANOTHER bike into the mix, this is the most expensive one,

Someone's offering me a good condition Mongoose Teocali Comp 2007 for £350
  • cooldad
    Nice bike but depending on what it needs - servicing the fork and shock will cost about £160 and you can get a new one (2009 from Paul's) for £599.

Depends what 'good' condition is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Does anyone know what model bike this is?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/top-o ... k/93628558
  • cooldad
    A stolen one?
    TBH I wouldn't buy any bike if the owner can't even be bothered to clean it up to sell it. Doesn't bode well for how they look after things.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    A stolen one?
    TBH I wouldn't buy any bike if the owner can't even be bothered to clean it up to sell it. Doesn't bode well for how they look after things.
    Do you think? :) also the fact he apparently doesn't know what model the bike is, or maybe he's just been sniffing the gas he filled the suspension with :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • jjl5590
    edited January 2012
    Right, I think I've narrowed it down now to a choice of 6 bikes:

#1 RIDGEBACK MX5 - £300 new

#2 Saracen Mantra X27 - £300 used

#3 Claud Butler Cape Wrath 2 - £340 new

#4 Specialized Hardrock Disc Comp - £350 used w/Avid BB7

#5 Diamondback Response Sport - £330 new

#6 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc - £320 new w/Avid BB5
  • cooldad
    Good, stop wasting time, pick one and go ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    the hardrock sport disc is quite a nice bike, especially new at that price, and the bb5's have plenty of power
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • jjl5590
    Ah I think I'm gonna stick with my gut feeling and go with my original choice, the Saracen X27
  • jjl5590
    Thanks for all the help given
  • jjl5590
    Well, received the bike this morning and I think I've been a bit ripped off. In hindsight I probably should have gone with the Specialized.

- It was supposed to come with new tires, however it came with used ones.
    - It was supposed to have had a service before being delivered, however the brake pads rub on the discs, and the adapter where the handlebars attach to was backwards, giving the impression that the bike was not tested before it was posted.
    - It was supposed to have a trouser guard on the largest cog, however mine does not.
    - The saddle saddle as it does not fit in the frame properly, it only goes down 1/3 of the way.
    - There are no instructions on how to setup the Quad Dime brakes.

:/
  • cooldad
    One of the pitfalls of buying used but:
    New tyres - contact the seller, either they send them or open a dispute with Ebay/Paypal.
    Brakes often rub a bit, not sure what 'adapter' you mean?
    Probably a different chainset, the one in the pic looks quite low grade, depending on what's on there might be an upgrade.
    Not sure what you mean but the frame looks quite small so the seatpost might not go all the way down. How much seatpost is in the seatube?
    You generally don't get manuals with second hand bikes. Should be anble to find tech docs on the manufaturers website.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Looking at the Ebay lisyting again, that was a 'specimen' as they are offering different sizes etc. Guess the spec might be a bit different too.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jjl5590
    I just got back from a test-run in the park. I put the saddle from my old bike on it, which fits fine.
    The bike rides ok but is not without its problems;

- The centre gears have trouble shifting, it wouldn't shift onto the largest cog.
    - The rear brake makes a loud 'clanking' noise whenever I engage it, not sure what that could be.
    - The rear brake also has no modulation, it's either on or off.
    - The preload adjuster on the shock is locked in place, it won't move.
    - I tried taking the trouser guard off my old bike but unfortunately it doesn't fit on the Saracen, and I ripped a bit of my jogging bottoms on the cog.
    - But by far the worst problem is the tires, they have absolutely no grip! I was cycling on dry pavement everytime I accelerated hard, or braked at a reasonable rate, the back wheel would skid out. Even the front wheel skidded sometimes! It made my riding very dangerous.
  • supersonic
    As I said, depends on the condition, it needs a full service and set up. And you'd still go for that Hardrock after all we said?
  • jjl5590
    It had a service before I got it
  • supersonic
    Looking at the ad it seems you have grounds for complaint, but again comes back to the varience of ebay and 2nd hand stuff.
  • cooldad
    One option -
    "Return policy
    We will cover return postage costs for items sent in error or found to be damaged/faulty on arrival. In the case of any other returns, buyers must pay for return postage."

You need to contact the seller.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools