first ever road bike: trek lexa SL or Rose Pro WSL 200?

canadiankate
canadiankate Posts: 27
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm buying my first road bike and I don't want to spend any more that £1000 on the bike. I've sat on, and found the Trek Madone 3.1 WSD 52cm Frame and found it super comfy. Obviously that bike is miles out of my budget, but I've been told that the geometry for Trek's are the same throughout the range and so the Lexa SL (At £800) would be the same fit.

However, I've also seen that the Red Rose Pro 200 and the Rose Pro SL 2000 were highly recommended by you guys as well. It looks like the componetry on the Rose is much better (Shimano 105, or SRAM etc), but I'm not so good at reading the geometry specs and wondered if anyone has any knowlege of Rose bikes?

I'm about 163cm, with inside leg of 79cm and I'm longer legged than reach. I've actually a negative ape index so have fairly short arms! I think I'd fit either the 53cm mens Rose bike, or the small womens Rose bike.

essentially - which is the better bike for a beginner? The trek or Rose?

ROSE PRO-WSL 200 Compact - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:478205
ROSE PRO-SL 2200 compact - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:473130
Trek Lexa SL - http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/collecti ... xa/lexa_sl
Trek Lexa S - http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/collecti ... exa/lexa_s

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Kate

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Those links don't work..

TBH, at 163cm (approx 5'4"?) i seriously think that the 53cm bike will be much too big. IMO, 50cm would be more ideal. Then again, what do i know, i'm only a bloke.

Get to a shop and try a few bikes even if it's just to get an idea of what size you would need.

Women tend to have shorter TopTubed bikes as the reach tends to be smaller.
  • Hi - negative ape index eh !? so thats the technical term :)

Longs legs often make the optimum bike fit difficult for men - but it looks as if you have done your research.
    Long legs= high saddle
    long legs imply short torso=reach to bars excessive
    so people look at a shorter top tube - but this comes with shorter head tube so is counter productive ! so you'll see flipped stems and loads of spacers (Instead of buying a frame that fits their physique/flexibility)

This body size would generally fit a more "sportive geometry" which has similarities to "Womens fit"

The treks geometry actually does look Women Specific - (shorter toptube and longer headtube) (Historically womens bikes were often the same frames as the mens - but with narrower bars, shorter cranks, compact etc) and satisfies your body requirements in terms of negative ape index.( I cant find details for the Rose sizing )-

I would steer clear of standard or racing geometry mens bikes - the headtube is often too short for most men !

I'm also slightly "negative" ape and at 5"8 ride a 52cm mens frame

PS - dont worry about the components - easy to change - though you probably wont bother. the frame though you are stuck with.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I'm 165cm (inside leg of 77cms) and have had a Trek Lexa SL since October - my first road bike after crawling around on a hybrid. It's awesome; there's not a thing I don't like about it. Haven't tried the others you're looking at (I looked at Specialized, Giant and LaPierre) but the Trek just felt perfect :-)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Hi There,

I Have a rose Carbon Pro Rs 4400. Admitedly its over 2K with the components i changed bu its a lot of bike for the money. Full Sram Force groupset, everything carbon.

I bought it in the summer so it took over a month to come, ordering now you lead time should be nil.

The bike was well packed as it comes from Germany. Was a doddle to set up inc handle bars and pedals. Bike is very well built, handles great, highly reccomend one.

A word on fitting, since you are spending a lot on the bike go get a fitting first, lke bike lab in richmond, they measure you up and give you some spec sheets with all the geometries for your body, you can then compare it to the bikes and find the perfect fit.

They will then let you take your bike in and set it up for you so it fits perfect.

Remember all the kit u need to buy if you dont have it, shoes, shorts, jerseys, socks, undies, helmet, sunglasses, spare inner tubes, lights, pump, bottle cages and bottles, bike lock, insurance..It all ads up! Look at your budget again.

Good Luck on your choice
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    girlfriend just bought the lexa after lots and lots of research. having had a close-up with this bike, i'd say it's perfect for beginners, and some way ahead of that. it's a really tidy bicycle.