Knee Pads

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
As some of you already know (I may have mentioned it once of twice), I'm off the bike for the next 8-12 months due to a MTB accident a couple of months ago where I broke my leg and buggered my knee.

My consultant has said that although the surgery will get me back on the bike with little to no noticable difference 99% of the time, he would recommend that I use knee pads for the extra support and protection they offer.

I don't kneed anything heavy, I'm not doing anything "supergnar" or "rad to the extreme", looking mainly for lateral support with a little bit of cushioning should it all go pete tong.

I was looking at the POC VPD 2.0 pads, but POC seem to only make pads for mortals, and their large (which is seemingly as big as they go) is no match for my mighty tower of power legs

Had some kyle straits before, they're too big for what I'm looking for, and never seemed to sit quite right on my knees anyway.

Thinking maybe some Pro-tec gaskets? They are very cheap though, not sure if that's a good thing or not in this case.

Obviously, I am well aware that I'll need to try any potential suitors on for size, just looking for suggestions.

Comments

• i got the hart and huntingdon ones by 661, really low profile but with a decent amount of protection and as they state bmx/street use they can be used under trousers.i think crc are selling them at £15.00.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    if you go for the poc ones wait untill the 2012 versions come out with 2 straps (top and bottom) the 2011 ones only have a strap at the top and they fall down constantly,,

i can strongly recomend the tld tbones they are amazing pads stay were they should even under impact,.. they quite suppotive to...

our kid just got somerockgarden kneepads, they score really good reviews everywere, he only used them once so cant really give you an opinon yet,, but first ride out was a thumbs up...

our kid has been using the 661 evo d30 knees for the last 3years.. they ok good for pedaling in but they move around alot and can get ripped off under impact..
  • Iv got the 2011 POC pads and mine have so far never fallen down, i did take the advice and went 1 size lower and once they warm up i dont even notice i have them on. The good thing about the 2012 pads is another strap but its located at the back and not at the bottom where most people think it is and also 'POC' is stiched rather than that cheep tacky stuff they have on the 2011 ones that when they get wet they peal off which is quite annoying.

Hated the 661 D30 pads, they fell down everytime i got to the bottom of a decent.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • i got the hart and huntingdon ones by 661, really low profile but with a decent amount of protection and as they state bmx/street use they can be used under trousers.i think crc are selling them at £15.00.

how you find those pads, i heard they can irritate and heat up pretty quickly?
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • The POC ones are simply too small, that's just a fact. That's why they're out of the running completely.

The Hart Huntingdon ones are some I was looking at, but I've also heard they do tend to get a bit sweaty.

The more I look into it, the more I think (unfortunately for my wallet) that something like this bad boy is what I'll be needing.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19505

All those other ones seem to offer good protection from strikes and stuff, but my main concern is twisting and hyperextension. The surgery I'm having is to repair both my ACL and LCL.

It would seem I'm actually more after a knee brace than a knee pad.

More research needed methinks.
  • Protective knee braces (proper sports ones to stop twisting/hyperextension) are expensive, but if you are worried about doing more damage then I'd consider one.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19502

The foam pads aren't going to stop any twisting or hyperextension, its not what they're made for. I have a bad knee (similar injury to you from playing rugby, not as bad though) and I still get twinges if I twist in a certain way with 661 Kyle Straits and Brand-X knee/shin's.

1 thing - if you did ever consider using SPD's (assuming not since you sold me some flats lol!) then you won't want to use them now. Possible the worst thing for bad knees is SPD's!
  • If you're looking for something light, how about moving slightly off MTB specific and more sports specific?

If you just want light protection and more support, something like this may do:
    http://www.physioroom.com/product.php?u ... 4&affid=25

If you're looking for more padding, have a look at ski/snowboard stuff to see if there is anything more suitable..
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I tested a few, Kyle Straits, FOX, but the 661 evo d30's were the only that fit right, I've never had a problem with them falling down, maybe the others didn't have them tightened enough, and after a few miles of pedalling you'll hardly notice them on.
  • Ben, that asterisk brace is the same one I linked to above, just for the pair, looks like a phenominal piece of kit, but I wonder if it's necessary. I *think* that's designed for people who have damaged their ACL/LCL but are not quite at the point where they are having surgery (I know for a lot of the various tears on their own, they will often give you the choice).
    Once I've had the surgery, it should require a small amount of stabilization.

That last one you linked to there looks like something along the right lines, but it's designed for LCL rather than all-round, apparently it's pretty rare to do them both at the same time, so I think the braces that stabilize both ACL and LCL are pretty rare. I think something like this should cover both, but it looks like it could be a bit toasty on long rides.

What I'll probably do is speak with my surgeon and the lady who does my physio, see what they think.

Currently wearing one of these and looking like robocop, so anything down from this would be orsums! :lol:

innovator%20dlx%20cool%20version.jpg
  • Yep the one you linked to was the other one I spotted... like I said, depends if you want padding like a Kyle Strait as well because it doesn't seem to have very much.

Could try and get something like this over the top for added protection if it fits.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3991
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, I would look at a knee brace if I were you. Regular knee pads aren't going to offer you any support at all. That's not what they're designed to do.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

1 thing - if you did ever consider using SPD's (assuming not since you sold me some flats lol!) then you won't want to use them now. Possible the worst thing for bad knees is SPD's!

Thats road SPDs are notorious for making bad knees worse but mountain SPDs give lots more float. I cant use flats for long journeys because they kill my dodgy right knee no float you see my heel needs to waggle from side to side in the pedal stroke. A friend who is a big touring rider was told to swap to mountain type clipless by his surgeon. The worst thing for bad knees is unsuitable or badly adjusted pedals and badly fitting shoes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    I have the d30 pads and I think they are great. Forget I'm wearing them and when I do stack, they do the job. Can wear them all day and not have to adjust them much.
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • SPD's are a nightamre when you have done your ACL in and after surgery, did mine in 2009.

This is my view and it worked for me but after surgery dont wear a knee brace and most physios and surgeons recomend you not to wear one, build up the strength back up and the knee will be fine but it takes time. Wear a knee brace and the knee become too reliant on it and becomes unstable when you take it off.

If you want to fire me any questions mate then PM me and im more than happy to help and good luck with the surgery, one tip dont press that Morphine button too much during the night :mrgreen: