Back in the saddle....

Johnno5
Johnno5 Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

After quite some time I've decided/able to get back into biking....

I live in East Yorkshire on the coast, I'm interested in any clubs/rides around my area... I'm terribly unfit and not done any riding for a long time, had two bikes nicked and circumstances just got in the way.

Anyway.... looking forward to changing all that and if anyone knows any good trails in the Bridlington area I'd like to hear about them also I'd be interested in meeting up with anyone similar.

I look forward to contributing in this forum and getting out a much as poss and working on my technique and fitness.

Johnno :D
Orang Pro 5

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Scarborough boy myself. Can't say i'm familiar with the Bridlington area despite living here for 45 years, though i do occasionally ride down to Muston/Filey and even across the wolds to Driffield sometimes.

A good way to find riding routes around your area is to download free map software such as 'Marble'. There's two maps for this called 'OpenCycleMap' and 'OSM Hike & Bike Map' that can be downloaded and give a good view of your area and local cycle routes (turn hillshading on to get an idea of how hilly it is).

Around your area, there's apparently a cinder track down to hornsea that's quite flat and easy going. If you want to jump across the wolds to the Filey/Scarborough side there's a lot of easy riding around the neolithic lake bed that goes all the way from filey through to Malton round to Helmsley and back towards Scarborough through Pickering, Thornton le Dale and Brompton. Though most riders this side of the wolds tend to go up into Dalby forest if you like offroad riding or just a lot of hills, with a nice cycling center on the other side with a Pace demo center and cafe.

Another great one that doesn't require a lot of effort is the cinder track from Scarborough to Whitby. Like all abandoned railway lines the inclines tend to be shallow but long, cutting through the countryside rather than going up and down over it. More tiring over distance than over any specific bit.
  • Thanks Ouija! I have heard of the old rail track you mentioned... is there a section of it at Filey also? I need to get a few OS maps or check out online as I plan to get some simple routes under my belt and work on my fitness then venture to Dalby....

Has anyone done the Rudston loop? - http://www.mtb-routes.co.uk/northyorkmoors/
    Orang Pro 5