Branded gear for newbie

daysofspeed
daysofspeed Posts: 105
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Whats the etiquette regards wearing branded gear?

Awaiting a Spesh Secteur delivery (my first bike since I was at school 30 years ago!) and I'm shopping for gear.

I get that wearing a pink Bianchi shirt on a blue specialized bike will look a bit weird but what's the general view about brands? People mix and match? Avoid brands? Only wear gear that matches their bike re Shimano shoes and pedals etc.

Not massively concerned what the cycle snobs think just wonder what the fair minds in here reckon and what will make me look like the screaming FNG that I am!

Cheers - this forum helped convince me to take up riding so hoping it continues to be as worthy now I've parted with my hard earned!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Whatever floats your boat. I try and match my colours if I can but dont mind what makes I have on.
  • cougie wrote:
    Whatever floats your boat. I try and match my colours if I can but dont mind what makes I have on.

+1 :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I saw a chap once on a red and black Specialized. His helmet, clothes and shoes were all red and black specialized. I couldn't see anything that wasn't red and black Specialized. It looked smart but it also looked like he was trying too hard or too much of a Specialized fan boy. That's overdoing it unless you are being sponsored. Once you start to look like you are buying things because of who made them rather than because they fit you best, or suit your needs best, then you've gone too far!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Judging from some on here do not buy a world champs jersey or any tour de France ones or any team kit as you may as well be shagging their nan.
    If it were me I'd buy all the team kit I could afford just to wind the pretentious a#$holes up. The way I look at it if you can afford it, like the look/fit of it buy it and enjoy it simple really.
  • Some cracking answers which are a great help. I think I'll avoid the Wallace & Gromit top mind and will happily annoy the snobs!

I like the black & yellow Raleigh vintage shirts. I wonder if they do darts players sizes?
  • Decide on what colour of helmet you want ... Then match the jersey to that ... A helmet is usually more expensive than a jersey and you'll likely only have one or two compared to half a dozen jerseys ...

Brands like Northwave do some decent simple looking stuff in the standard colours ... Black shorts are always sensible as you can match them with almost anything ...

Oh, and buy shoes that match the helmet ...
  • Wear what you like. Some of the best buys in bike gear unfortunately come with logos all over them. Far better to get good quality stuff that fits well and works in your riding conditions.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Don't rush into buying expensive stuff either, get used to riding your bike, and get some miles in. I did similar to you, and started off with stuff from Decathlon sports, companies like Planet X, Cycle-Clothing.co.uk, Aldi (seriously!) also do some reasonable stuff. In fact my windproof jacket is from Aldi, and I'm snug as a bug in it!
    Speaking as a newbie, I never look at peoples clothing, I only ever look at their bikes, just to see what I could be aiming for next!
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • Ebay is a good way of trying out the more expensive gear at knockdown prices, or the sales. +1 to the comment above, I got carried away in year 1 but managed to get by with 1 top in year 2 - although there are 4 more shopping days left. Also agree, that quality over quantity worked for me
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Don't rush into buying expensive stuff either, get used to riding your bike, and get some miles in. I did similar to you, and started off with stuff from Decathlon sports, companies like Planet X, Cycle-Clothing.co.uk, Aldi (seriously!) also do some reasonable stuff. In fact my windproof jacket is from Aldi, and I'm snug as a bug in it!
    Speaking as a newbie, I never look at peoples clothing, I only ever look at their bikes, just to see what I could be aiming for next!
    +1 for aldi , i reckon half our club had aldi gloves on yesterday as aldi stuff is cheap but for the money very well made, check lidl as well.

Another good brand is Decathlon, their website is rubbish since they upadted it but the clothing is well priced, i use their bib shorts for rides of 70 miles + and i find them comfortable and cut a bit better than some cheaper brands that do not allow room for my massive errrr tone ;) legs and behind .
    FCN 3/5/9