Base layers?

STONEMONKEY1972
STONEMONKEY1972 Posts: 42
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Quick question, which base layers are the best to use, man made fabrics or wool style; finding that while training, espcially doing the hills, sweating a lot and then I get cold, the layers I have at the moment are running style long sleeve base layers, aldi ones and addidas, not expensive to be honest, usually wear along with a long sleeve windproof top or a long sleeve riding top and then a waterproof gore wear jacket if it is cold, have tried a gillet as well. When I get home the base layer is dripping with sweat and the front of me is cold to touch!! I have noticed baselayers in decathlon any of these any good?or best to get from online etc? budget is £20-30 would be gratefull of any other recommendations please. cheers Gordon.
decathlon ones are:
Quecha techwool ls 100% merino wool. £24.99
kipsta base layer 66% polyester 29% polyamide 5% elastine £19.99
Quecha forclaz 900 ls 71% polyester 20% polyamide 9% elastine £19.99
kipsta cold weather base layer 44% polyester 37% polyamide 19% elastine £24.99

Comments

• I use to run a bit, and when I started cycling thought my old running tops (SS & LS) would be perfectly adequate, but they are rubbish. Have some Karrimor and Quecha branded tops. After even a leisurely commute ride into work (12 miles) tops where soaking wet with sweat and I was feeling the cold :cry:

As I wanted to join a local club and do some longer rides, bit the bullet and bought a Lusso baselayer http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Underwear-Long-Sleeve-Lusso-Breathe-T-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-Base-Layer/LUSSZULS220 and a DHB jersey http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-core-s-jersey/ and what a difference :o

I still sweat :wink: but don't get cold anymore, and have really noticed a massive difference when using these :D

I've learnt it's definately worth buying good cycling specific clothing, even if it is a bit more to pay out, IT WORKS, so worth every penny :wink:

Wouldn't hesitate to buy either LUSSO or DHB clothing again 8)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It's possible that your outer wind / water proof layers may be contributory factors.
    Are you doubling these up or wearing a waterproof unnecessarily?
    Gore is a fantastic breathable waterproof but still far less breathable than no waterproof.
    If you have a windproof on simultaneously, you may as well be wearing a plastic bag.

You only want one outer layer which should be the lowest level of protection you will get away with for the worst conditions you anticipate. Personally I don't rate outer layers that combine wind or waterproofing with warmth. Add layers for warmth and just one outer layer if needed.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not sure why cycling and running layers would differ ? All they need to do is transfer sweat away. I run and bike and don't really See a difference between performance of my tops.

Unzip when you're climbing and zip up on the way down maybe ? You should feel a bit cool as you set out - allowing for your heat to build up. And take an extra layer in case you have to stop.
  • cheers for replies, will take a look at that base layer, yes i normally do unzip etc unless its really cold but still find after 2 hours of riding my base layer is wet and then i get cold!! cant really wear any less so it must be my base layer or i am just a fat b@stard!!! :lol:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    i find mesh baselayers are much more comfortable than 'solid' fabric ones

they wick well to the next layer/outer, and the air space next to the skin stops the soggy feeling or chilling, when it's really cold i use a fabric baselayer on top of the mesh

the castelli short sleeve 'core mesh' is great, you can get it for under 30 quid

for the really cold days, i've got a long sleeve brynje one, http://www.brynje-shop.com/super-thermo ... hirt-p6948

both are 100% synthetic and stay comfy when wet, even if i get drenched they still insulate well due to the air space
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you are sweating heavily in winter then your clothing is not right. The usual advice to wear a windproof assumes that you will get cold without it. If you are overheating, just ride without a windproof. 2 non windproof jerseys will form a kind of wind barrier that lets plenty of air through to keep you cool.
    If your windproof a nylon style one. Put the material over your mouth. If you start to turn blue and suffocate, then it isnt breathable.
  • Lidl do base layers quite frequently, alternately advertised as running or cycling or ski base layers. They are absolutely the bomb, I have several. I have a lot of expensive good kit for external layers but the lidl base layers are as good as anything.
    MTB HardTail: GT Aggressor XC2 '09
    Road Summer(s): Kuota Kharma '10
    Road Winter(w): Carrera Virtuoso '10
    Full Suspension: Trek Fuel Ex 8 '11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/130161
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Really like the PX Merino wool base layers ( as well as merino wool jerseys for the winter )

Seem much better than any man made fibre baselayers I have used over the years. I am a convert to merino wool.

For the winter,...

- merino wool base layer
    - merino wool jersey (thickness dependant on outside temp)
    - windproof / waterproof / softshell
    Simon
  • With a decent quality softshell jacket, I wear a Shutt, I find in the kind of weather we have at present (5 -11C and blowy) I can get away with a cotton T underneath. Colder than that and proper 'technical' base layers come into play. The layering effect will act as a wind blocker in it's own right, so don't bulk up with too many water/wind/weatherproof garments. I carry a fold able waterproof which I carry in my saddle-pack to 'get me home', which doubles as a 'windproof' if the temperature drops.

+1 for Lidl & Aldi undergarments.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Lidl do base layers quite frequently, alternately advertised as running or cycling or ski base layers. They are absolutely the bomb, I have several. I have a lot of expensive good kit for external layers but the lidl base layers are as good as anything.
    +1.
    I had a couple of the aldi winter base layers bought for me for christmas, they are the best ones I have. The only things I would get from Lidl or aldi is the base layer and gloves for autumn.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    The only baselayers ive ever worn are Craft Extreme and they are fantastic. As soon as you put them on the can feel the warmth they generate. 10/10 for Craft.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Prendas for me, lovely and warm ...
  • When I get home the base layer is dripping with sweat

As others have suggested this is where you're going wrong. I love winter riding because if I get the clothing right I can ride as hard as I like without getting sweaty (although yes I do unzip my jersey for climbing).

At about 3-5 degrees I'm usually in a good winter base layer and a summer jersey with arm warmers (I carry a small rain jacket in case I need it). If you add a third layer to this (especially a wind/rain jacket) you're likely to be at the high side of warm on the flats and hot on the climbs. Since the rain jacket (even Gore) can't let sweat out fast enough you're getting wet and the wet is making you colder than you would be without the jacket.

The big problem with dressing light is that if you puncture you're not wearing enough to stay warm (which is why I use C02 in winter).
  • Hi guys many thanks for the replies and advices, I commuted to work this morning wearing only a base layer and windproof top, couple of hills 1 in 4 as well and 10 miles later got to work and sweat wasnt really a problem!!! most of you are right in thinking I am over dressing!!! bit cold at first but soon warmed up!!! I need to tell the bosses at work to turn the stats down in the workshop!! noticed it was 20c today in workshop, crikey no wonder I am getting nesh!! :shock: saying that dropping weight off at moment through diet and feeling the cold more!! also wife brought me a thermal base layer today £10 from aldi, got a skiing sale on at moment, so will give it a try. Gordon.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Really like the PX Merino wool base layers ( as well as merino wool jerseys for the winter )

Seem much better than any man made fibre baselayers I have used over the years. I am a convert to merino wool.

For the winter,...

- merino wool base layer
    - merino wool jersey (thickness dependant on outside temp)
    - windproof / waterproof / softshell

Another fan of merino wool base layers. I wear one under a normal long sleeve cycling top and gilet to keep the wind off, I also carry a lightweight waterproof in my pocket, keeps me warm even in winter.

When really foul weather I switch to an old Endura waterproof jacket which is a bit heavy but totally weatherproof even in the most extreme weather.

D :D
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I was given one of these for xmas and wore it on the bike yesterday, it was great.

http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/069409
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    I am using one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26756, very nice comfortable and warm

D :D
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    We're all different, I for instance am a sweaty bugger :lol: in summer it pours out of me with just a summer jersey on, even when taking it easy with a bunch of less fit mates who aren't sweating at all.

In winter I still get a sweat on with just a base layer and summer jersey over the top, especially if pushing it or climbing. That's with a temperature below 5*C. It's just the way I am, but it is not detrimental to my performance, it just means I need a higher fluid intake and whatever I wear does get damp, which can lead to a chill when stopped.

I have found Under Armour Coldgear base layers the best for fit, comfort, warmth and quality. This winter I bought a second, this one with a mock neck as the previous one has lasted so well ( hundreds of washes and it still looks like new). They have a long back which tucks well down over your bum underneath bib tights, the sleeves are quite long which means they reach pretty much all the way to the start of the back of your hand (over the wrist bone), the mock collar is close fitting but not uncomfortable and keeps the chill off your neck, the whole jersey is slightly compression fit and really is comfortable to the point that you don't really feel it and best of all, you can get them for about £25 in sales from sports shops/ online. They are one of the few bits of kit not designed for cycling (add extra £££ for those) which work well in our sport. They seem to be mainly focused at footballers (my kid plays and your see all the players wearing them), hence the price tag seems to be lower than cycling specific gear.

Bearing in mind my sweaty disposition, they really do wick the moisture through well; the surface can be felt as damp after a bit of a push. When riding this evaporates off in the air (with just a summer jersey over the top). When I stop for any extended period, or for very cold long downhills I put a micro light wind proof jacket over the top. This keeps me plenty warm enough. My philosophy is that even in rain a waterproof top is a waste of time; you are going to get wet, either from the rain or through sweating if you you ride in a waterproof jacket. So what is the point of one? This comes from many years in the army when everyone was raving about this new wonder material Goretex, that was waterproof and breathable. Well, sitting in a trench in rain it was worth wearing it, but even just walking around carrying your kit made you hot and sweaty! It is exactly the same on a bike, just accept you are going to get wet and pick your clothing to keep you warm, rather than dry. It is the windchill that gets you when wet, not the wetness.

And there endeth the lesson! :P

Hope this is useful. I must go and check the share price of under armour!!! :wink:

PP
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My son was gutted when he broke his elbow playing football; the Underarmour being such a close, compression fit had to be cut off his arm :(
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I have found Under Armour Coldgear base layers the best for fit, comfort, warmth and quality.

+1 8)
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    I have craft base layers of difrent tempuiture levels and diffrent tops from brathable 10 deg plus wind proof front down to about 6deg then a nice gore jacket down to -5 deg.
    It a matter of not getting too hot etc like this week Im wearing warmer gear than last week when I was using the extream craft base layer and gore jacket.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I'd back the Underarmour & "appropriate insulation" thoughts here. Material technology minutiea (or maybe that most sports/outdoor manufacturers today produce ~appropriate fabrics) is insignificant vs. a good next-to-skin fit & wearing just enough to be comfortable once warmed up.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Cantebury "Cold" for me in the long sleeve version.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.