SPD Slack?...

paulmgreen
paulmgreen Posts: 158
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I ave just fitted my first SPD PEDALS -bShimano M545 pedals with SH-56 cleats...........

As I havn't tried SPD before I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was expecting the shoes to be held more firmly. The shoes will rotate more than I expected ....... And it doesn't seem even between left and right! I have tried switching the cleats from left to right, to see if it made any difference .....l it seemed to even things up but still both shoes ratted left to right more than I expected........

How much play should there be as normal??..

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can adjust the tension, have a play with that.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Leave them slack till you get used to un-clipping. I never have mine tight.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Have you been out yet? As above adjust the tension until you are comfortable unclipping. When you're ready tighten them a 'little' until you find your comfort zone. A little play (float) is fine and allows you to adjust a bit while riding etc. but mostly to prevent knee damage.
    Many happy trails!
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    It sounds like you are saying the shoes move more than you expected before they unclip. This is normal and is called 'float'. You get different amounts of float depending on make of pedal and wear of cleat. You will find that this float helps you adjust body position when riding. Road pedals have much less float as the rider moves about much less when riding.

I may of course be way off and you were talking about tension of the binding! I ride 2-3 times a week on my mtn bike riding 'black' runs as well as using them on my road bike and despite wearing out 4 or 5 sets of pedals have never had to adjust the tension.
  • The pedals weren't brand new and the left has more 'float ' than the right... i have swapped the cleats on the shoes over, but no difference so i guess perhaps there may be a little wear on the left pedal!?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    are they new cleats, or the ones supplied with the pedals?

worn cleats can give more float then new ones

pedals don't really wear in the way you're describing
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • gezebo
    Agree, new cleats will help if they were 2nd hand. Everyone clips differently so its likely they will wear differently too, but this would probably go in-noticed by the old owner. Also cleats are seen as a consumable part and wear quicker than the pedal.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    gezebo wrote:
    I ride 2-3 times a week on my mtn bike riding 'black' runs as well as using them on my road bike and despite wearing out 4 or 5 sets of pedals have never had to adjust the tension.

But if the tension was different to start with, you might want to adjust it to get the same feel on each side.

It's not something that 'has' to be done, but a matter of personal preference.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gezebo
    Yep agree tension is a personal thing however from reading the OP comments it could be summed up as-
    'Bought some 2nd hand pedals (presumably cleats too) and the shoes move round more than expected (one more than the other) before I un-clip them'

From what he has described I don't think more tension will help as they wont 'grip' any harder just release easier... You can tighten the adjuster to the max and it does not move the position of the pedal 'grip' against the stop and similarly loosening it does not move the 'grip' either.

Hope that clears up any confusion