Arrggh F1 on Sky :-(

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited December 2011 in The Crudcatcher
After a year of watching the fantastic BBC coverage of the F1 season I can't believe Sky will now be covering the races for next year. I don't warrant getting Sky as I don't watch enough tv, so apart from going to the pub how else will I be able to watch the races?

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    with any luck it should stop those annoying and cringeworthy starting grid walks by that annoying rude cunt.
  • Not being funny, this was announced an age ago! Where the fudge have you been???? In answer to your dilemma. Pay or pub.....simples
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Half will be on BBC. Without MB unfortunately. Get a life the other weekends.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Not being funny, this was announced an age ago! Where the fudge have you been???? In answer to your dilemma. Pay or pub.....simples

Been travelling for a couple of months so didn't notice the news, too busy relaxing and mountain biking :-)

Oh well, will watch the review on the net I hope.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Time for sky, if you get the hd package it's only £30 and then you can sky+ the races and avoid the ferkin unreliable iplayer that cocked up and missed the last couple of races
  • highlights will still be on the BBC.... which is good. Means you don't have to sit through the mindless boredom of the bits between the start and the pit stops and the pit stops and the end!
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    just watch Moto GP - far more entertaining.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • 1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The plus side is if you have the HD pack you don't have to pay for waste of space sky sports.

The down side is you have to support the murdoch evil empire.

Get suitable foreign dish equipment or find the right site and you can likely get it without the uk rip off factor.

Or just live with the highlights for half of them. Just a shame MB couldn't resist the money.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    just watch Moto GP - far more entertaining.

+1

although this season was no classic.

Hopefully next season will be better.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • cooldad
    deadkenny wrote:
    The plus side is if you have the HD pack you don't have to pay for waste of space sky sports.

Get suitable foreign dish equipment or find the right site and you can likely get it without the uk rip off factor.

Or just live with the highlights for half of them. Just a shame MB couldn't resist the money.

Doubt it was actually the money. Just means he gets to commentate a full season. DC is still under contract to BBC though so as far as I know stays there.
    Just a pity that dickwad Eddie Jordan didn't decide to retire.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

Doubt it was actually the money. Just means he gets to commentate a full season. DC is still under contract to BBC though so as far as I know stays there.

Pretty certain it was the money, I seem to remember him saying during all the goings on that he would never leave the BBC to go to SKY, and then I think the cash was waved in front of his nose.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • cooldad wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

It was the money and the fact that he doesn't have to live (or at least appear to live) in the UK so saves on loads of tax. That's what he actually said.

It is a shame for the sport though, I think it could have a pretty damaging affect to its presence in the UK. Instead of 8 million viewers it'll go down to about half a million. I wish the teams would unite under FOTA and actually start calling the shots because - less viewers > less sponsorship > less money. Problem is teams like Ferrari are very friendly with the FIA so could probably sneak a load more special Ferrari money from them and RedBull don't need sponsorship money.

Also the government should recognise the importance of F1 to the UK economy. So much cutting edge technology is developed in the UK, thousands of engineers are employed and millions (quite possibly over a billion) of pounds in sponsorship money comes into the UK to spend on F1. Yet F1 greats like Adrian Newey have no recognition for this?!
    I think its a really important part of our nation and its something that's growing in popularity in the UK so we should be really proud of it. For that reason, the government should have stepped in and either given the beeb some extra cash to pay for it, or made sure it went to channel 4 or back to ITV. I know that BBC would have had to get rid of BBC4 to pay for F1, but still who wants to watch reruns of documentaries on the motorway system anyway?!

Also, I was going off Brundle anyway. He was interesting at first but just seemed to be a bit boring. I think BBC have retained the better team TBH (bar Ted Kravitz - he was good). DC and Jordan have far more friends in high/interesting places than Brundle (Who still recognises and F1 driver from the early 90's?!) and so could get far better scoops or interviews. Lee McKenzie always seems to get good interviews with drivers and Jake does an adequate job of keeping control of Eddie Jordans crazy antics.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font color="purple"><center><i><b><font size="2"><font face="Times New Roman"> "Boggis and Bunce and Bean. One fat, one short, one lean. These horrible crooks. So different in looks. Were none the less equally mean."</font id="Times New Roman"></b></font id="size2"></i></center></font id="purple">
  • cooldad
    Eddie Jordan is an annoying dickhead.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps DC lives in Monaco. I'm sure it's got nothing to do with tax.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Eddie Jordon is a legend and an asset to the BBC coverage. Who cares if they live in Tax Havens? Makes no difference to the coverage.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font color="purple"><center><i><b><font size="2"><font face="Times New Roman"> "Boggis and Bunce and Bean. One fat, one short, one lean. These horrible crooks. So different in looks. Were none the less equally mean."</font id="Times New Roman"></b></font id="size2"></i></center></font id="purple">
  • cooldad
    Eddie Jordon is a dickhead.

Exactly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Eddie JordOn????

Seems like a nice bloke, not sure what he's got to do with all this like.
  • sheepsteeth
    is brundle the cunt who does the grid walks?

i hope sky tell him to fuck off so i dont have to watch that rude cunt sticking his beak into other people's interviews and interupting racers before they race and then i wont have to watch it and none of the people on the gid will have to awkwardly tolerate him being a cunt.
  • cooldad
    I think he is the **** who sticks his **** into **** like a **** **** ****. ***** ***** total absolute ****. ****.
    As long as BBC doesn't bring back that ***** **** and absolute ***** James Allen. *****.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Been on terestial for as long as I can remember....greedy cnuts moving to sky...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • cooldad wrote:
    I think he is the **** who sticks his **** into **** like a **** **** ****. ***** ***** total absolute ****. ****.
    As long as BBC doesn't bring back that ***** **** and absolute ***** James Allen. *****.

What do you want from a commentator/pundit? You don't seem to like any of them? Are you one of these people that can't see past the eighties and just complain that F1 its rubbish now?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    80s! Too modern. Bring back the days of a driver, a tin on wheels, and the mechanic. Where refuelling involved putting it in with a fuel can yourself and no fire proof clothes, and deaths were common.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    80s! Too modern. Bring back the days of a driver, a tin on wheels, and the mechanic. Where refuelling involved putting it in with a fuel can yourself and no fire proof clothes, and deaths were common.

The reason F1 is so popular and can demand so much money is because its cutting edge, moves with the times and relevent. If you want to watch F1 as it was in the eighties then there is plenty more formulas you can watch.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    then there is plenty more formulas you can watch.

Correctamundo....I loved countdown...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

What do you want from a commentator/pundit? You don't seem to like any of them? Are you one of these people that can't see past the eighties and just complain that F1 its rubbish now?
    Errrr relax a bit. I think MB is the best commentator since Mr M Walker. Eddie Jordan is a d1ck, as is James Allen.
    Was simply continuing Sheep's trolling. As you would have realised if you had any sense of humour.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sheepsteeth
    cooldad wrote:
    Was simply continuing Sheep's trolling.

im not trolling, i think that cunt is a cunt
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Was simply continuing Sheep's trolling.

im not trolling, i think that **** is a ****

In that case my abject apologies for calling you a troll when you are actually a ****** ******* cod ******* creamy *******.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    with any luck it should stop those annoying and cringeworthy starting grid walks by that annoying rude ****.

That's the best part! "BBC! Get the **** out of my way, serfs". That, and waiting for Coulthard to punch Jordan's teeth out. Someone told me there's motor racing at some point but I can't see any point in that bit.
    Uncompromising extremist