Left hand crank arm

Baytt
Baytt Posts: 102
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Hi all

just a quick question.

would there be a problem replacing a left hand crank arm with a different make?

need one to replace a sugino messenger 175mm, but having difficulty tracking them down,

would any square taper do the job?

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not all have the orientation of the hole the same.

Some also do not have the same taper angle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Nick, you need to brush-up on the gospel according to Sheldon Brown:

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Provided you stick to the same length and the end of the arm doesn't hit the chainstay, then you should have no problems - I've run 2 different length cranks (165/170) on either side whilst awaiting a replacement.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    I too am on the hunt for sugino messenger cranks but in 172.5 at a reasonable price.... They are rarer than the proverbial unicorns munchers... Sugino don't appear to be bothered they seem to have no UK presence at all, either in the shape of a distributer/ agent, or any form of online outlet.
  • I have two different cranks on one of my bikes, both Shimano 170mm and the bike rides fine, except for when I'm out of saddle - the bike feels like it wants to lurch to one side. I put this down to the fact that one crank is straight and the other (replacement bodge) is curved, making the LH pedal further out from the BB. If both cranks are straight I'd bet I wouldn't even notice.