Best carbon drops under £150

Mr Dog
Mr Dog Posts: 643
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Best carbon drops under £150.. any suggestions?? Have stock Giant contact SLRs but they're too wide, so I need to replace them. :roll:
Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?

Comments

• How about this then?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITM-101-Carbon- ... 500wt_1163

High on Bikes flogged them for 60 squid but no more alas. Tips the kitchen scales at 174 grammes should you care. Bear in mind that ITM used to measure width outside to outside so the 42cm one is roundabout 40cm centre-to-centre.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Carbon bars = probably the least effective upgrade you can made to your bike. There is a reason why many pros stick to alloy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Carbon bars = probably the least effective upgrade you can made to your bike. There is a reason why many pros stick to alloy.
    Might be better ways to spend cash, agreed, but carbon bars can help with ride comfort in my experience, even if only a minor gain.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    +1 for comfort and I need far less than 44cm I have already. I like the shape of the carbon SLR but I need to change cos I'm not the biggest bloke in the world. :wink:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Take a look at PBK, with the extra 15% off, there's a few carbon bars, 3t, Deda, Zipp at £100-150
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,903
    After a chap on here recommended them, I ordered a set of HB002 carbon bars off ebay, just search for "HB-001 handlebar" or "HB-002 handlebar" to see the main options.

Around £40 all in.

Not yet fitted mine, but they certainly feel well made, and for me I was after the flat wing style of bar.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Some shapes of bars are only available in carbon and if one of those shapes suits you then that's a good reason to go for it.

I've been riding carbon and alu bars for five years and before that alu, and I find carbon does absorb a bit more buzz than alu and also doesn't feel as "cold".

As an upgrade I'd certainly rate it above a alu to carbon stem.

Many, in fact I'd suggest most, pros now use carbon bars. Do a run-through of the bikes at 2011 Tour de France for example and you'll find most on carbon bars. Sure, there's sponsorship, but if they really preferred alu they'd stick with it.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Bump Get rid of Trellstemmer