How long does your commute take

2»

Comments

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    suzyb wrote:
    Reading CiB's thread where he mentions he commutes 20 miles got me wondering just how long time wise you guys commutes are.

My drive is usually an hour, sometimes a bit less, others a bit more. I reckon if I ever get a job 10 / 15 miles away I'd be able to cycle there without having to get up any earlier than I currently do.

What about you guys / girls. Do you cycle because it takes less time than driving / PT. Or does it take you longer but you cycle because it's cheaper and more enjoyable.
    What do you do ? Do you bike some of the way ?
    I was put off cycling into work for ages until a mate told me that he drove half way then biked, it hadn't occurred to me to do that. :roll:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    20 miles

Bike: 1hr 15/20
    Train: 1hr - 1hr 20
    Vespa: 55mins - 1hr 5
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Twostage wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Reading CiB's thread where he mentions he commutes 20 miles got me wondering just how long time wise you guys commutes are.

My drive is usually an hour, sometimes a bit less, others a bit more. I reckon if I ever get a job 10 / 15 miles away I'd be able to cycle there without having to get up any earlier than I currently do.

What about you guys / girls. Do you cycle because it takes less time than driving / PT. Or does it take you longer but you cycle because it's cheaper and more enjoyable.
    What do you do ? Do you bike some of the way ?
    I was put off cycling into work for ages until a mate told me that he drove half way then biked, it hadn't occurred to me to do that. :roll:
    I planned to once, packed the bike and gear in the car but by the time I got to where I was going to cycle from I didn't have enough time. And I don't want to get up any earlier so I have more time :wink:

Only in the office 2 days a week now so I have plenty of time the other 3 days to get some riding in :D
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I have two routes: one 15 mile trip, and one 10 mile trip. If I drive I use the 10 mile, and I cycle it if I need to get home in a hurry. so on this route I can do door to door in 30-35 mins if I need to. My 15 mile route takes 45-55 mins depending on wind and whether i have just done a night shift or not :x and has a few little railway bridges to power up, which feels good.

In the car, the 10 mile route (including parking 300 metres from work and walking back) takes around 10 minutes longer than cycling (and leaving bike outside my workplace door). Driving also drives me totally up the wall and leaves me feeling dozy all day at work.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    18 miles each way takes 1 hr 15 mins but this includes 119 sets of traffic lights

I count the traffic lights on my former commute as an alternative to counting sheep.

I'm still not sure whether it's 45 or 46.
  • I get bored easily so have lots of variations. My most direct cycle route is 12 miles which on my good bike I have done in just over 40 mins, but on my commuter normally takes best part of 50 mins in and nearly an hour back. I prefer to take a more scenic route which avoids main roads and includes about 6 miles of unmade or gravel surface in a total of 14 miles. This normally takes 60-80mins but is much more pleasant.

The quickest route by car is about 14 miles and is very time and traffic dependant 22 - 45 mins.

I can do it on a couple of buses but that would take about 90 mins depending upon connections.

It's not just about how long, it's about fun and quality of life too. If you've got the right bike for the job most of you would enjoy my commute as a recreational ride. You could tolerate the drive but pt sucks big time.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,898
    35 miles so 1 hr 48 if feeling good or more likely 2 hrs due to country lanes and lots of junctions. Shame is I don't do it enough :(
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    Previous job was 6.5 miles by car 20 - 40 minutes. Bike route was far shorter and could be done in 15 mins (PB 11). I rarely took that route and normally did about 10 miles in 40 minutes.

Cycling was a life choice. I used to get out every weekend on the MTB, but not able to much these days, so this was just an opportunity to get out on the bike.
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    11.7 miles 45 mins (maybe a bit less in summer and full fitness) depends on traffic lights, about an hour and 10 on the train with walking at each end.
  • around 5 miles for me...

Bus = 30 mins
    Car = 15 mins
    Cycle = 15 mins

Soon will be commuting around 80 miles a day.
  • Graham. wrote:
    I have an embbarasingly short commute of 3 miles. It takes:

Car = 10 mins.
    Bus = 30 mins
    Bike = 5 mins

Graham.

Errr..... 5 minutes for 3 miles? That's 36mph

What the hell kind of legs do you have? Are they measured in cc????
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commute is 6.7 miles, it takes 30 minutes door to door, of that actual cycling time is about 22.5 minutes, averaging just under18mph (flat bared hybrid with panniers carrying a laptop, lunch and 'kit').

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Interesting thread.

I do this one a couple of times a week. Time depends on weather and direction. Between 40 mins and an hour and a bit. It feels quite hilly (see profile) but what goes up...

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=wnynhijhxuihwdli
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Very short and fast commute for me. 12 minutes by car (only one set of lights) 14 minutes by bike, average average a smidgin over 19mph.

To get any sort of exercise out of it I do a long route via Newport which adds 11 miles with a goodly amount of climbing (and descending :-D ) I'm now only in the office a couple of days a week so try to do this at least on one leg along with a hammer home at lunchtime.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • 11.9 miles each way

On a good day, 40-ish mins in, 50-ish out (more uphills coming home) - not counting faffing/washing at either end....

All on a hybrid with 2 fully-loaded panniers (nowhere to keep kit/change at work) :cry:

No practical PT option, so car takes around 35 mins in and 45 mins out (not 'cos of the uphills, it's just busier!)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Bike: 20-25mins
    Car: 15-30mins (depending on traffic)
    PT: no direct route, would take at least an hour on multiple buses.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I work in central london, so commuting by car would be insane.

It's about 19km each way (though I round it up to 40km round trip most days).

I expect to ride door to door in one hour. But I have a level crossing and a great many traffic lights to negotiate.

Commuting by train and folder also takes about an hour. Unless the train is late/cancelled/missed, in which case it's rather longer.
    Riding on 531
  • tabh
    tabh Posts: 6
    Ride to work... 4.4miles normally 15 to 17 minutes.. Part road part cycle track
    Ride home 13.6 miles normally 48-55 minutes depending on strength and direction of wind,,, All road

Car takes 10 minutes to work but is only 3 miles along busy country road. ( will not risk this route on the bike)

Never use the bus...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    okgo wrote:
    17.5 miles - 55 mins - 65 mins - by bike

40 mins by train but £15 per day or £2k per year.

Asprilla, no way it takes that long from Walton to get to your place in town

The clock usually says about 1hr 8 - 1hr 11 by the time I get to work so I add some more on to cover the stoppages.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Door to desk time:

Train: 1hr 40
    Drive/cycle (24 miles/23 miles): 2hrs 20

130 sets of lights for me on the bike (give or take, I always lose count!), generally about 1:15 moving time. Train is £36 a day, which is quite an incentive to cycle! Ought to move closer to Laaaandan really!
  • 25 miles and approx 2000ft climbing each way through the Cotswolds.

Bike - anything between 1hr 15 minutes and 2 hours (not including faffing around eg shower)
    Car - approx 45 minutes

It's a bit of a slog during the winter but a whole lot better in the Summer. I guess I probably wouldn't cycle in the winter if I wasn't a) worried about losing all my hard earned fitness, and b) amazed by the money I save (kind of).

In the Summer it's awesome .. and I can't wait for this bl**dy grey weather to sod off and the sun to come back.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    ~6.7miles

Car: 15 mins (minimum i.e. schools holidays, no temporary lights or accidents), 25min (Typical)
    Bike: 22 mins (best, lucky with lights etc), 25 mins (Typical), 30 mins (strong headwinds, ice and traffic)
    Bus: 70 mins (2x20min journeys with 5 min walking each end and 10 minutes waiting for each bus and that's best case)

Consistency is a major benefit, especially in the Summer, then there's the cost, ~£3k saved by ditching the second car. Having no one else to blame when you're late is surprisingly good for the character too.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Last job I could cycle to was 14:46 miles, I managed it in 1 hour 1 minute on my last day a PB. I needed another day there to break to 1 hour :(
    Public transport was bus, train, underground then DLR - about 50 minutes on a good day.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    20 miles

Bike 1-1hr20
    Car 1hr30+ o/s school hols
    Bike-train 3mins bike 45-50 mins train.

Currently bike/train everyday but might start riding again in the new year. Maybe.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017