Aerobars

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I want to get some aerobars and decided upon the Deda Parabolica. However it says the clamp will fit a 31.6mm handlebar. Mine are 26mm. Does that mean I have to buy aerobars that will only fit 26mm handlebars or will I be able to buy the Deda ones and put tape on handlebars to make the Deda one's fit?

I chose the Deda ones because they are fairly cheap and get good reviews. The Profile T2 plus aerobars say they will fit either 26mm or 31.6mm but they are £30 more expensive.

Thanks

Comments

• ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Richard36 wrote:
    or will I be able to buy the Deda ones and put tape on handlebars to make the Deda one's fit?

No. This is a shortcut to a dentist. You'll need to use metal/plastic shims, which are widely available.

The Deda ones got a good result in the Triathlete's World some time back. Profile T2+ also come well recommended.

What will you use them for? You may find for long distance that J-bend bars (like Profile T1+) are far more comfortable than straight/S-bend/ski-jump type bars.
  • I bought the Deda Parabolica Zero earlier in the year. This was to replace an old entry level Profile Aerobar that looked like the Air Stryke but was mounted above the handle bar (Can't remember what it was called).
    I think that the Zero puts me in a much more aero position but this isn't comfortable or sustainable. OK for a 10 mile TT but I don't think I could do a 25 on it and I've been experimenting with bar height for about the last 6 months. I do think I can get much better purchase on the zero and feel like I can pull on it much more and force the power more and it does weigh about half the weight of the old profile bars. A part of me now wishes I'd bought the parabolica Uno which is much more like the shape of the old bars. Saying that I knocked nearly 30 seconds off my PB on the first outing with the Deda Zeroes on a hilly TT course. And have continued to progress throughout the year, knocking nearly a minute off last years PB.
    I can confirm that the only fit O/S bars and that you would need a shim to use them on a 26mm bar, (The profiles are actually meant for O/S bars too, but come provided with a shim)
    I think these should be suitable, you'll need 2 sets.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handlebar-Shi ... 2c5edca4f6
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • Thanks.

Not having had aerobars before I wasn't aware of shims so if I do go for the Deda ones then I can purchase the shims separately.

I had thought of the Deda Duo which are the S shape but ChrisSA has suggested the J shaped ones which are the Deda Uno (I think).

I will be using the aerobars for longer distance rides. Are the J shaped aerobars generally more comfortable over longer distances? (most of the ones that you see folk using for things like Ironman rides seem to be the S shaped ones)

Thanks
  • With the Deda zeroes I get a pain in my wrist, feeling like I have to twist my wrists down to grip the bars properly. I never experienced this with the old profile bars with the J bend. So in my opinion yes they are more comfortable.
    They do look more aggresive and awesome on the bike.
    The height thing is personal, the Deda's mount below the bars so I'm having to flex my back more, not a biggy really I just can't seem to get it just so...... But it's the wrist thing that stops me riding longer TT's.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • richard36
    Has anyone else got a comment on which aerobars I should get. I'm 45 and not used to riding on the drops and not that flexible. However I do want to buy some aerobars and I'm not sure now, after comments made by Storckspeed, whether I should go for 'S' shape ones or 'J' shape ones. I can get the Token 'S' shape ones for about £30 or the Deda 'J' shaped ones for about £40.

If it is generally felt that 'J' shaped ones are more comfortable then is there any real benefit in going for these Deda carbon ones http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... EDAHBAT270 as opposed to these ones http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

Thanks
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Richard36 wrote:
    If it is generally felt that 'J' shaped ones are more comfortable then is there any real benefit in going for these Deda carbon ones http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... EDAHBAT270 as opposed to these ones http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000
    Thanks
    Unless you are building a top TT bike there is no benefit in spending the extra money on carbon. The weight saving is negligible and there is no better damping effect from the carbon as you should not have much weight on the extensions.
    Re J bends and S bends, very much personal preference. I started on Js but much prefer S bends as I can hold them in more different ways.
    I also don't think they are much use for anything other than racing. They just clutter the tops of the bars up.
  • richard36
    Thanks John

I mentioned the carbon ones because the grips look 'better' than the grips on the cheaper ones (however I appreciate that is a personal opinion).

I want some aerobars as I will soon begin training for an Ironman and need to get used to riding on the aerobars.

I suspect it's a case of trying both and seeing which I prefer. I can buy the Token 'S' shape ones from Wiggle for £30 and if I don't get on with them can then sell them and buy the 'J' type.

Thanks
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Richard36 wrote:
    Has anyone else got a comment on which aerobars I should get. I'm 45 and not used to riding on the drops and not that flexible. However I do want to buy some aerobars and I'm not sure now, after comments made by Storckspeed, whether I should go for 'S' shape ones or 'J' shape ones. I can get the Token 'S' shape ones for about £30 or the Deda 'J' shaped ones for about £40.

Thanks

If you're not comfortable or flexible enough on the drops atm then using aerobars won't be that much easier. having said that then I found the Token bars pretty easy to get on with and for the money are very good.
  • richard36
    Thanks Marcos (and Scott)

I'm not saying I have problems on the drops it's just that at the moment I don't think I could ride for hours on end on the drops. However I would like to be able to ride for longer on the drops (or aerobars) but didn't want to get aerobars that were uncomfortable even after building up my rides.

Given the price I'll go for the Token ones and go from there.

Thanks again.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Richard36 wrote:
    Thanks Marcos (and Scott)

I'm not saying I have problems on the drops it's just that at the moment I don't think I could ride for hours on end on the drops. However I would like to be able to ride for longer on the drops (or aerobars) but didn't want to get aerobars that were uncomfortable even after building up my rides.

Given the price I'll go for the Token ones and go from there.

Thanks again.

If I go out on any ride I spend time on the drops weather I need to or not. On a two hour ride I'd spend at least 30 mins on the drops. Same with my TT bike, I'll go out on it and ride it for at least an hour to get used to the position. Like riding your bike start off with short periods and increase gradually and eventually you'll get used to it.