2012 Challenge

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
With 2012 knocking on the door I'm throwing down this challenge to those of you "man or mad" enough.

Forget the who does the most miles in the year that's childs play.

Who can do the most miles in a single ride before the end of Jan?

:twisted:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• define single... non-stop? or with stops not exceeding x hours/mins? or what?

Need some rules here!

And whats your bid?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • itboffin
    Single ride with stops ie food & water not overnight sleep etc
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    What sort of distance are you aiming for?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Hmmmm, was considering a London -> Bath ride...that might work.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @ITB - old man, your title refers to 2012, but your post is limited to January. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This one would be better run for the whole year - Jan might be decided by who has the best weather if last year is anything to go by. Might try a Leeds to Newcastle run if there are some nice days though (mind, that's only 105 miles or so).

PS don't forget to sign up for the Metric Century challenge (viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12747300) - it's a good one for getting you out in the winter months.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hmmm do want to do London to Paris via Calais, think that's 240 miles in one go!
  • How about combining the two - metric challenge plus longest ride. Longest ride could be used as the tie breaker i.e 400km = 4 points but is also longest ride so increases score x1.5 (4x1.5=6) giving ride a score of 6.

If this doesn't make sense please excuse me - finished work wednesday lunch time and havn't honestly stopped drinking since.
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I like this plan, but not confined to January. Make it a year-long affair and it could get interesting, esp with the Dunwich Dynamo in the summer & the scope for riding to it and away after the event, or the 10 a penny LeJOGers* these days. Hmmm...

It'd be trivial to pull out the longest ride in Stats, but not everyone is on it and there are some that post weekly, monthly or even <cough expat cough> seasonal updates, so that wouldn't work. ITB - why not invite us to stick up our efforts in a comma separated thread that you could grep + awk to sort out the men from the not so men? :wink:

*Not really. Hat to people who do it.

Edit. The Man Of The Month Challenge. Sorted.
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    @ITB - old man, your title refers to 2012, but your post is limited to January. :twisted:

Yes i guess it could be extended but the original idea was/is to motivate you all to put out some good winter miles.

I have a place on the Amstel Gold tour (250km) that'll be my longest single ride in 2012.

Edit: 2am Chris tut tut at your age ...? surely you should have been tucked up in bed long before then. :P
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Longest single ride in 2011 was 147miles between Bristol and Bude with some detours thrown in.

2012 has L2P24 and the associated training: want to break a 150 mile pre Easter, then a London to Bath to London.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    A year long challenge with a monthly champion thus encouraging a year round effort.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Longest rides this year have been 174, 168 & 162 miles. For 2012 the aim is do a 200. Though probably not in January.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    iPete wrote:
    Hmmm do want to do London to Paris via Calais, think that's 240 miles in one go!

Not unless you can find a way of cycling up and down the train/ferry continuously. A bit too big a gap on the crossing to really count as a single ride. :wink:

Mind you, still a good 24 hour total.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    114 miles today
    :-)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010