Car vs Bike Mileage

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
So, did you ride or drive more this year?

Approximately, I think I have done something under 2500 miles in the car and something over 7500 miles on the bike. So a nice 3 to 1 ratio in favour of the bike. The car mileage would probably be scarily low if I discounted miles spent using the car to take the bike somewhere to ride!

I'm sure someone can beat that - any takers? (Though you do actually have had to owned a serviceable car all year for it to count!).
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    alas my mileage in the car has been more then on the bike. A combination of distance to travel and a niggling back injury stuffed up my aim to increase my cycling mileage this year.

Never mind there is always 2012 :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    10,000 km (or 6,000 miles) for me on the bike but I don't know about the car.

I do know that when i drove to the Alps for Le Tour in July and then drove onto south of France for a week's sun before driving back to UK i did 2,000 miles over two weeks so my ratio will be less than 3 to 1 for the year.
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I ride much more. Mrs A driver to work every day, but I can go a couple of weeks without jumping behind the wheel.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • 5500 on bike, ~4200 in the car (and 1/2 of that was business mileage that was expensed). Car is pretty much a weekend toy now...

edit: car actually cost me 76p/mile to run (£3,227 over 4200miles - had £1,500 work & services this year :( ) but 50% was expensed on biz trips so actually cost 38p/mile. I don't include car in commuting costs as I don't use it for commuting...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Bike is about 3,000 miles car is 7,000 or so. mainly because we (my wife and I) have folks who live a fair distance away. which is the car's main use seeing family, since to my folks trains are slow and painful on the wallet, can't see this changing any time soon.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Up until march about 100 car miles god knows on my bike, couple of thousand, would have been more but my asthma and work stuff kind of ate into the miles I could do
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Can't drive. So over 9k more in favour of the bike!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    12500 in the car, 4000 on the bike so a big mis-match there. Maybe when the boys are old enough to lock the house up properly and get to school of a morning unattended the balance might swing back a bit, but not for now. Shame.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'm sure someone can beat that - any takers? (Though you do actually have had to owned a serviceable car all year for it to count!).
    StuAff wrote:
    Can't drive. So over 9k more in favour of the bike!!

Get out of my thread and don't come back!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I do approx 100 miles cycling per week and no car mileage as I don't have a car. Does this make me the winner? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    8322.95Miles = bike
    0.0 Miles = Car

That's largely because the cars gone to car heaven and i'm not bothering to replace it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bike - commuting etc 1100miles
    Car1 5000miles
    Car2 3750 miles

With 3 kids and sometimes having to go to suppliers with work means the bike doesn't get used as much as I may want!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I did about seven thou on the bike and left my wife to buzz around in the car. If looking at it from a cost/energy consumtion point of view, we must not forget that food costs 20 times more than petrol on a per calorie basis, which pretty much negates a bikes mpg advantage (a bike does the equivalent of around 900mpg-50 cals per mile- on a calorie per mile basis, compared to my car at 40 mpg, with a gallon af petrol containing 30000 calories.)
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    Ouija wrote:
    8322.95Miles = bike
    0.0 Miles = Car

That's largely because the cars gone to car heaven and i'm not bothering to replace it.

very envious!
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Sold my car in may as it was just sitting around not getting used :D
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    About 2000 by bike, and around... 200 by car I reckon.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Approximately 2k with car 13.5k by bike.
  • Easy, no car..! :D About 60 miles a week on the bike, so whatever that works out to... :D When i do drive though, its a work car and its plymouth to wherever, usually the north or lunnon M25 region (roving IT geek ;D) so 500 miles a trip, maybe once every couple of months...!
  • rolf_f
    redvee wrote:
    I do approx 100 miles cycling per week and no car mileage as I don't have a car. Does this make me the winner? :lol:

Nope - the loser!
    Ouija wrote:
    8322.95Miles = bike
    0.0 Miles = Car
    Nik Cube wrote:
    Sold my car in may as it was just sitting around not getting used :D
    Easy, no car..! :D About 60 miles a week on the bike, so whatever that works out to... :D When i do drive though, its a work car and its plymouth to wherever, usually the north or lunnon M25 region (roving IT geek ;D) so 500 miles a trip, maybe once every couple of months...!

You all get to stand in the corner with a pointy hat on - just need to find a room with enough corners to put you all in! :lol:
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Under 8k in the car and about 3k on the bike, maybe a bit more.

If I didn't have my daughter living in Bury St Edmunds and needing to meet up with wife to see her at weekends etc then I would have done a lot less car miles. There's about 1200 on a trip to see my mum in Ireland & another 600 for a week in Wales. Would probably have done less than 3k all in without the daughter bit.

Its getting better. When I first got the car I was doing 45k+ pa in just that car plus another 5k in our other car. Left the wife and moved back to London and mileage has plummeted. Not worth selling the car as its 220k miles on it & owes me nothing but its cheap to run & can carry 3 bikes on the towbar :)
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Can't be sure what my bike mileage is but it must about around 6K miles

The car has done about 14K this year but that's a combination of the wife driving to work, family trips to visit parents in Manchester and 2 trips to Europe

Any short journey which doesn't involve taking children somewhere is now done by bike.
  • Oooops
    Done 30k (kms) in the car (cars) this year.
    Battery died on my Cateye strada a long time ago so that must mean I rode at least 1000000 km? :lol:
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy