Any idea who sells email addresses to Catena Cycling?

bikeboon
bikeboon Posts: 81
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
I've never signed up yet they have my email not published on facebook, linkedin etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Subs to cycling mags? Online shopping for bike stuff? It's probably not what you've not done, it's what you've been doing.

Mind you, I've never heard of Catena Cycling before. I wonder whether they do energy drinks - they could brand them Catatonics....
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    its a 'partner' of climb by bike. so if you have signed up for climb by bike then thats where the email has originated from
  • Having my own email domain means I can assign a unique email to every site I sign up for...

So its a bit worrying when I get spam and the email used is 'Travelodge@xxx.yyy' or 'thetimes@xxx.yyy' - organisations that claim to be strong on privacy and never release your email to third parties....
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Having my own email domain means I can assign a unique email to every site I sign up for...

So its a bit worrying when I get spam and the email used is 'Travelodge@xxx.yyy' or 'thetimes@xxx.yyy' - organisations that claim to be strong on privacy and never release your email to third parties....

You know that spammers will try some_random_string@yourdomain.com? Once they don't get a rejected message it's pretty much out there, so don't just choose simple words like "thetimes".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    Having my own email domain means I can assign a unique email to every site I sign up for...

You know that spammers will try some_random_string@yourdomain.com? Once they don't get a rejected message it's pretty much out there, so don't just choose simple words like "thetimes".

I am aware of that, but I don't make it that simple either :) - it was simplifed for this post - the email address I give them has another non-obvious ident in it as well (base26 encoding of the date&time of registration) so I am pretty sure this is a breach and I am in conversation with the associated companies at the moment... What is interesting is that spam arrived within a day or two of registering on each site and both were sent from the same IP address but haven't re-occured. I have some theories about shared third-party services, or a rogue developer in common... time will tell...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: