Mo Farah 3rd...

Darren Clarke 2nd...
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited December 2011
    Much deserved. Well done Cav!

Nice of him to mention us humble commuters too.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Fantastic.

Does this mark a seachange In attitude to cycling?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Fantastic.

Yes... I think so...

In his acceptance speech he acknowledged the support of the grass roots... those that commute to work and cycle for pleasure... that's making cycling one of the fastest growing sports. To get this sort of recognition in a non-Olympic year is fantastic... (his words)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Have to admit didn't think he'd get it. Perhaps I need to start having a little more faith in the British public.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Superb.

<scuttles off to chortle at the inevitable anti-cycling comments soon to appear on the BBC website>
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Hoofin'!! :D:D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    Fantastic.

Nope all cyclists are still a bunch of c*********

should make them all wear helmets and pay road tax that'll sort em out
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    Cav on red button
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    Just read that Gary Mason (ex-boxer) has just died in a cycling accident today, I wonder how that will affect the positive news coverage of Cav's win?
  • CiB
    squeeler wrote:
    Just read that Gary Mason (ex-boxer) has just died in a cycling accident today, I wonder how that will affect the positive news coverage of Cav's win?
    Months ago.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    CiB wrote:
    squeeler wrote:
    Months ago.

Terrible shame though, he was a great sportsman and a nice bloke by all accounts.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • squeeler
    oops sorry!
    It was on the BBC website, maybe all cycling relevant links are "trending" with Cav's win?
  • squeeler
    BTW I didn't think he had a chance of winning at all until I saw him on Soccer Saturday a few weeks ago and thought he may just have a chance as he was properly playing the media game.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    With half the vote too.
    Great news
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    dhope wrote:
    With half the vote too.

Yeah, I was pretty amazed by that. I didn't really think non-cycling fans were really that likely to go for Cav.

Mark Cavendish 169,152 (49.47%)
    Darren Clarke 42,188 (12.34%)
    Mo Farah 29,780 (8.71%)
    Luke Donald 23,854 (6.98%)
    Andy Murray 18,754 (5.48%)
    Andrew Strauss 17,994 (5.26%)
    Alastair Cook 13,038 (3.81%)
    Rory McIlroy 11,915 (3.48%)
    Dai Greene 9,022 (2.64%)
    Amir Khan 6,262 (1.83%)

(source)

A pretty conclusive win, there. Maybe there are more cycling fans that I realised.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Good.

T'was as expected.

The odds was so ridiculously in favour it'd have spelt disaster if it was anything but him.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Early Christmas present!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    And, yet, the first story on the "Sports" slot this morning was about Chelsea-Spurs. :roll:

I've missed the News headlines, so maybe it's there.

Oh, no, here it comes, story no. 3, after Blackburn-Everton.

:roll:

That aside. Fab result.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Quote from the BBC website shows their amazing in-depth knowledge of the sport:
    Cavendish won five stages of this year's Tour de France - including the final time trial in Paris - to clinch the green jersey awarded to the race's best sprinter for the first time.
    Hooray for Cav, time trialist extraordinaire! Sadly no mention of Emma Pooley of course, actual world TT champ. But still!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    But isn't the most important question.....

......what the hell was Anne the wonder horse wearing?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,947
    Agent57 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    With half the vote too.

Yeah, I was pretty amazed by that. I didn't really think non-cycling fans were really that likely to go for Cav.

Mark Cavendish 169,152 (49.47%)
    Darren Clarke 42,188 (12.34%)
    Mo Farah 29,780 (8.71%)
    Luke Donald 23,854 (6.98%)
    Andy Murray 18,754 (5.48%)
    Andrew Strauss 17,994 (5.26%)
    Alastair Cook 13,038 (3.81%)
    Rory McIlroy 11,915 (3.48%)
    Dai Greene 9,022 (2.64%)
    Amir Khan 6,262 (1.83%)

(source)

A pretty conclusive win, there. Maybe there are more cycling fans that I realised.

Stonking percentage there - any idea how that compares with when Hoy won..?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Absolutely awesome. Well done Cav, richly deserved. Not only as an individual but a real team player. Always quick to salute the others that make his sprints possible.

Loved the clip when he had won a worlds on the track. He's there head in hands, weeping, saying "I'm world champion", and quick as you like Dave Brailsford replies "you're not going to be teated any differently. Quality :lol:

Good luck to team GB in 2012!!!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Delighted he won, although he was a bit nervous giving his speech I would rather that than the usual read from a script acceptance speeches. I loved his interviews during the TdF as well, he's an incredible athelete and a natural winner.

I did like one of the comments on the Guardian though - he should have been preceded up the steps by 6 blokes who one by one dropped out leaving him at the front to pick up the award...
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I have never seen an interview with where he didnt pay tribute to his team. When he dosn't perform he shows emotion and clearly feels like he has let the lads down.

Hats of to Cav he comes across as a top bloke with a big heart the worlds was a dream this year the work done by the team and then Cav's finish I was on the floor screaming at the TV (yet again) !

I loved the mention for us commuters as well a very nice touch
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    So can we start a campaign to get Cav to try a morning commute on the Embankment?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Soul Boy wrote:
    Absolutely awesome. Well done Cav, richly deserved. Not only as an individual but a real team player. Always quick to salute the others that make his sprints possible.

D'ya not think he overplays the team thing a bit?

I mean, it's all very well saying without the team he wouldn't win, but that's not strictly true. He'd win less, but without Cav the team wouldn't win anything sprint wise.

He did it without a team in his first Tour when HTC were Columbia and he did fine.

He's the talent, and he's the one that differentiates for the victory. HTC just make sure he's in a position to do so, but without them, that position would still come up pretty frequently.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Zachariah wrote:
    Quote from the BBC website shows their amazing in-depth knowledge of the sport:
    Cavendish won five stages of this year's Tour de France - including the final time trial in Paris - to clinch the green jersey awarded to the race's best sprinter for the first time.
    Hooray for Cav, time trialist extraordinaire! Sadly no mention of Emma Pooley of course, actual world TT champ. But still!
    I saw that, too. Made me smile. (Pretty sure Judith Arndt is the current world TT champ though)

Hehheh. My phone autocorrect wanted to replace Arndt with Armstrong.

Anyhoo, well done Cav. Top result
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The day an MTBer wins it will mark a change in the perception of cycling with the BBC and general public.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    supersonic wrote:
    The day an MTBer wins it will mark a change in the perception of cycling with the BBC and general public.

Indeed. MTBing ain't cycling. :mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."