• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yay!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Are cervelos nervous descenders?

The front end all looks very steep compared to a similar sized Colnago.
  • napoleond
    Not at all, it feels fine. It's just that the colnago was DAMN fine.
    That said the Colnago was a slightly better fit, I'm not fully dialled in on the R3 yet.
    I think fit has a big impact on handling.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Evil Laugh
    Sure, just learned that lesson the hard way on my master.
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    Are cervelos nervous descenders?

The front end all looks very steep compared to a similar sized Colnago.

I found the outstanding thing about the R3 is the way it carves down descents. As long as my 165lbs was the right place they are very secure & adjustable. It taunts you by sending messages saying "Is that all you've got" & "you could have done that last turn a lot quicker", I didn't get one because on the flat it felt as though it needed more power than I can sustain to keep it feeling lively. And that was with my C24's.

I agree that Colnago's generally look a lot less responsive which is why I was surprised that they out handle the R3.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I have a C50 and a R3SL and if both bikes were at the top of the Tourmalet and it was a race to the bottom I'd choose the C50. In a crit or a race where I have to accelerate a lot it would be the R3SL every time.

Different horses for different riding types...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • hold on didn't you say a little while back that after selling your top end bikes you were just as quick and enjoying cycling on the more standard/basic bikes you had left :wink:

Have you been lured once more (like the rest of us) back to the upgraditus fold :lol:
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • napoleond
    Yep. I did say that. And I regret selling the Arte and getting the Cervelo.That said, I've only just got the position/fit dialled in on the R3 and not had chance to rise it in that position on the road yet.
    Fit makes a massive massive difference to handling...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yep. I did say that. And I regret selling the Arte and getting the Cervelo.That said, I've only just got the position/fit dialled in on the R3 and not had chance to rise it in that position on the road yet.
    Fit makes a massive massive difference to handling...

Didn't you have a C50 at one point Nap? Hope I am not getting you mixed up with someone else! If so, how does the C50 compare to the Arte?

I've considered a Colnago as a dream bike for my 40th, but have no idea what ride differences there are between the EPS, M10 and C59.
  • napoleond
    I did have a C50, it was beautiful but one size too small unfortunately, the steerer was cut right down so I couldn't get it right :(.
    I loved that one!

C506.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Evil Laugh
    Your time will come again. :lol:

Always though that one looked a bit small, what was it a 58?

It was a flipping bargain though, I remember looking at it wondering if it would fit me (it wouldn't). Maybe I'm imagining it, it was an ebay special right?

Really sweet bike.
  • napoleond
    It was, got frame, full chorus, Deda stem and bars, colnago post for 1150!! Sold it for a little more.
    Sad to see it go. It was a 58, needed a 59 with an extra 20mm of steerer. I have an 11cm saddle-bar drop.
    The wheels were AMAZING. Blinged it up with a bit of record, but swapped the chorus back in for sale and sold the record separately.
    Sold the wheels for what I paid.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • deejay.
    deejay. Posts: 665
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Not at all, it feels fine. It's just that the colnago was DAMN fine.
    That said the Colnago was a slightly better fit, I'm not fully dialled in on the R3 yet.
    I think fit has a big impact on handling.

Calling in late on this one. A mate of mine has an R3SL, which followed an R3 insurance replacement (low bridge - ouch!), and I have an old C40 HP. He struggled for ages getting the position right, and has had all kinds of problems with high (ish) speed stability. The C40 in contrast is rock solid. At 58cm it's probably a little too small for me, but only a little - I have a lot of steerer exposed, probably too much. Hope the R3 works out for you. I'm planning a new frame this year - might go for a C59 (was thinking R3 myself, but struggling to give up my brand loyalty...)

deej
    He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...
  • napoleond
    I'm now fully dialled in on the R3 (thank you Mr Timmis) but not had chance to ride it on the road yet.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm now fully dialled in on the R3 (thank you Mr Timmis) but not had chance to ride it on the road yet.

Is this a comeback!
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • napoleond
    Watch this space...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    First ride out on it today since it was Timmised. Awesome. Handles as well as the Colnago which goes to show it's the fit that makes the difference. Just a few mm here and there.
    Rear cassette is fooked though, had to do the hills in a 37/19. Being very unfit didn't help. But, I will get stronger...
    Recce'd the first part of the Bikeradar Spring Fling ride. Some cracking bits although a little bit of tweaking required before Mow Cop.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Great news.
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Did your fit adjust your seat angle :wink: I'd imagine with some light wheels for the summer that will be one flying bike. Everyone has to try a 13lb bike at least once in their life and that should be achievable with the right wheels. Nice bike :D
  • napoleond
    It's level, measured with a book and spirit level :?

I've had really light wheels and the elites certainly don't feel like I'm lacking, in fact due to the stiffness they are fantastic!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    NapoleonD wrote:

Must be the camera angle, saddle nose looks well down on the R3 (esp compared to the C50) :oops:
  • napoleond
    bencolem wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Must be the camera angle, saddle nose looks well down on the R3 (esp compared to the C50) :oops:

It does! Must have been before I adjusted it... :?
    ABCC Cycling Coach