Cannondale Synapse Sora - shall I buy?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
After a LOT of umming and ahhhhing (and becoming frighteningly close to buying a Spesh Secteur) I've pretty damn sure I'm going to buy a 2011 Synase Sora. The fact they don't have a 2011 Tiagra, and the 2012 Tiagra is too expensive, makes that decision for me. Hadn't even considered one till today but the guy in the shop sung it's virtues as a more relaxed roadie that suited my body type (long legs vs torso).

I need it mainly for commuting in London and the occasional long ride / few days touring. It needs to be able to take a bit of weight, but not loads regularly.

Anyone any objections?!

Good choice?

Comments

• I love my 2011 Synapse (the 105 version) and have owned a Sora-specced bike (Spesh Allez Sport).

Sora is better than a lot of people give it credit for and I know you won't be disappointed with the Synapse - superb frame IMO (but I guess I am biased :lol:).
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    My old bike had Sora type shifters and I didn't find anything wrong with them.

The new bike I'm getting has 105 so I'm wondering how I'll get along with these, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • El Selb
    El Selb Posts: 137
    Thanks guys, I'm going to get it. One minor detail - shall I pay the extra to buy it with gatorskins, or will the standard tyres be good enough? The shops says the standard tyres are pretty useless but not sure if they're trying to just boost their sale up a bit!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm not a giant but I do have long legs / short body, and the Synapse was the best fitting bike I tried. Buy it, I don't think you'll regret it.
    Unless the shop is offering the tyre upgrade at a bargain price I'd just wear out the stock tyres before shopping around for alternatives
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    keef66 wrote:
    Unless the shop is offering the tyre upgrade at a bargain price I'd just wear out the stock tyres before shopping around for alternatives

Depends what the stock tyres are. My Ribble had Pro Race Nitro tyres on it. Seemed OK on the bike until I got a punture. Virtually impossible to get on or off the rim. In the end, replacing a tube at home I punctured the sidewall of the tyre trying to get it off the rim! The replacements I can fit without levers. That could have been a big problem if I'd done it away from home. So in the end, the tyres I didn't want in the first place (no upgrade option) were wasted in about 100 miles.

So, I'd say why waste good riding time with crap tyres? If you'd be happy with the Contis you might as well get them now rather than later. At the very least, you should only be charged the difference in price between the standard tyres and the Contis.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • If the tyres are Schwalbe Lugano, as they were on mine, I'd get 'em off sharpish and replace with something like GP 4 Seasons (which is what I did).