Long tights question

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
I'd like some advice. Basically, a friend of the family has given me some long bib tights. However, the tights don't have pads in them, I guess they are best described as bib overtights.

How would other forum members wear these? Would you put your normal bibs on and then these over the top and just double up?

Thanks much

Brett
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    wear padded shorts below them...Would annoy me having two sets of straps though!
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Yes, well I guess I should have said that, doh. I did try having them on with a set of bibs underneath and it felt a bit annoying. I guess it helps when the weather is colder. The tights are really nice Addidas ones, so I really want to try them out.

Guess I will have to really slightly blukier on the bike (not that I am not already, ahem)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I wear padded bib-shorts under my un-padded longs. Mainly because I'm a cheapskate and un-padded are cheaper than padded. It's usually cold enough that I appreciate the 2 layers anyway.

2 straps sets of straps don't annoy me anymore than just the one set, I just look extra daft :lol:

It was actually a good job I had 2 layers on last week, the zip went on the longs which could have been embarrassing (and a tad cold) :oops:
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    I wear padded bib shorts over my unpadded bib longs, which looks indistinguishable from shorts and leg warmers, so that the more expensive longs don't wear down as quickly. Two sets of straps doesn't bother me either.
  • nhoj-

You CAN wear the padded bib shorts over your non-padded bib tights, but only for really short trips, in my opinion. Without the benefit of the pad next to your skin, the wicking properties won't work very well.

Be alright for shorter rides, though.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,169
    tights over padded shorts, in this weather the extra straps etc. don't bother me

it is a little bulkier vs. just padded tights, but the advantage is you can wash shorts after every ride and they dry fast, whereas the unpadded tights will do a few rides before they need washing (i don't have a washing machine/dryer, so this appeals to my natural laziness)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Padded shorts under the tights, I find its fine, I don't last that long in the cold, an hour and a half, maybe, so the extra layer is good.

I also find that because they are bibs the lower part of my back stays warm
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You have two layers here, imo not as comfortable as a decent pair of roubaix tights with a decent insert ....
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Padded under shorts (like Boxers) or a pair of Padded shorts without the straps...simples.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bibs under tights. If it isn't cold enough for the double layer to be appreciated, I'd be wearing legwarmers instead. Don't really understand the problem with two sets of straps - you can't see the ones underneath and you can't feel the ones on top!

Seems a bit odd to me to have the bibs on the outside - the pads are designed to go against your skin but whatever works for you.
    Faster than a tent.......