Panniers wearing rack

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Does anyone else have the problem of panniers wearing/rubbing on their rack? I use Ortlieb and as fantastic as they are I can't stop them from rubbing on the rack and gently wearing it away!

I've tried everything from wrapping aluminium around the rack to pieces of rubber on the pannier itself. The best solution I have come up with so far is a pieces of innertube zip tied to the rack but even these need replacing every month or so. Is it just me?!

b3.jpg

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Nope, mine have rubbed into the rack also, much more than yours. I'd originally duck taped them but gave up. It'll take a long time to destroy the rack but I've also stopped using them so err yeah will take even longer now!
  • I have an Altura dryliner (17" laptop variant) which doesn't move at all while cycling; so I never have this problem. It's clipped on at the top and there's a slide that fits onto the pannier to stop any movement.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Yep, I've had this. Mine were pretty badly worn, and I reckon they would have made it through the wall of the tubing within a year if left as it was. I covered the relevant parts with heli tape a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully that will prevent any further wear.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Again I have Altura and mine does not move or rub the frame in this way - even when I take it round Swinley...!

It does rub where it clips onto the top though, just from frequent removing and replacing of it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Mine is quite worn. I'll ignore it until it's bad enough to warrant replacing the rack as it's already quite deep.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Mine's looking fairly worn after 2.5 years (and probably 15-18 thousand miles), and I reckon it'll only last another 2.5 years or so. At that point I'll either have to swap the pannier over to the other side of the rack (which should then last me until ~2019) or switch to the identical rack I took off my MTB. After exhausting both those options (2029 or so) I guess I'll have to find the equivalent of 35 quid for another rack. There again, my youngest will be in her twenties by then, so maybe I can pinch the rack off Mrs TGOTB's bike, as she only uses it for the child seat.

That said, my (Blackburn) rack feel like it's made from solid bar rather than tubing, so yours may wear more quickly...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    yep mine do this and they are also ortleib. I wrap the whole thing in bright orange jaffa tape.