online weight estimator - anyone ??

twedspeed
twedspeed Posts: 130
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Just followed a link to the weight weenies bike build weight estimator and god knows what I ended up with ? didnt have YETI frames - or FOX listed in the forks section ! or Hopes or infact any MTB components that I recognised , God knows what I was looking at ? Now I think about it , I might have ended up on a roadie site ?
My question is does anyone have a link to a UK , up to date - MTB weight build calculator site .
Thanks.
WHYTE LIGHTNING - CARBON S/L - NOMAD anyone see a patern emerging ????????

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked in the tech link sticky? Try it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • There is always the option of checking manufacturers websites, or sites that sell parts. Often you can find groupsets with all parts listed on the same page, so it is just a click though and view the weight kind of thing.

All else fails, strip the bike and weigh everything!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They lie.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    All else fails, strip the bike and weigh everything!

Add 10%, compound error and what not always means that's a strangely inaccurate way of doing it!

Weight Weenies is pretty out of date now, it's basically just a forum, and it's always been more for the roadies.

What's the bike? I'll have a punt at a weight!
  • Have made my own , using microsoft office excel , It has a column that automatically tots up total weights instantly as you add stuff or take bits away , And I spent loads of time googling bits n pieces on CCR & the Fox website Ive got about 40 diferent sub headings starting with frames - then forks , right through shifters & cranks , to tyres , rims etc , am having to gues some things like cables , and chain producers never seem too keen to publish weights , but little by little I,m getting there - spokes is a hard one to get weights for as well.
    But "kinell" ave you seen the weight of HOPE brakes !!!! Nice bits of kit but ..hewn from solid concrete compared to Formulas. Will soldier on and SELL it to anyone who,s interested.
  • Can I get a copy for free?
  • You`ll always forget the little bits like cage bolts,cassette shims,headest spacers,qrs,cables,starnut,rim strips,etc.They add up to a surprising degree.

I
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • njee20
    Assume you're joking about selling it Twedspeed?!

Spokes aren't hard to find weights for - DT and Sapim list them on their websites... Chains can be found pretty easily too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You`ll always forget the little bits like cage bolts,cassette shims,headest spacers,qrs,cables,starnut,rim strips,etc.They add up to a surprising degree.
    Not on my spreadsheet I haven't, have all those except rimstrips which didn't come off the wheel....but yes the parts you mention add up to 187g on mine.

imon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks "Spiderman AND the beginner" I will add a 200g listing , under the heading "General Bits n pieces"
    "Delcol" , Yes they are , but I wont be the first nor the last to think about total build weights.
    "Njee" , If the weights of spokes and chains are so easy to find why didnt ya post em up for me ?? and yes I am only kidding about selling it , Except in your case, ten bob a look to you mate.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you told njee what spokes you had I'm sure he'd post a linky, but as there are dozens of options, hardly fair to make him post all links really?

Before all the data got taken from light-bike it was a great source of data.

You need to be careful, I have a very retro XT front mech that weighs in at a whopping 175g compared to the much newer LX on my MTB that is just 143g (the XT is on my wifes bike as it's the heaviest front mech I have in use), getting a weight based on model without having the year is pointless.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Except in your case, ten bob a look to you mate.

I'll let you keep that - never felt a need for a spreadsheet myself, I know what bits weigh and where I can save weight. Personally just build bikes light in the first place, cheaper in the long run!

On spokes, who'd have thought manufacturers would print the weight of their products online eh...

DT Swiss
    Sapim (select page for each spoke)
    Pillar