Pacing on Sportives

What do people think about clubs taking along 'pace makers' to sportives to help their riders get around.

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Personally I don't give a toss! A sportive is not (technically) a race - what would be the point? Why have "pacers" - what's the objective?
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    As a relatively new cyclist I've only done 3 sportives, all solo and would probably have gained something from having company, though I spoke to people on the way round. However I really can't see the point in what you're saying?

Sure if you do it and stick together as a group the faster ones may drag the slower ones round a bit faster, but pace makers?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    What do people think about clubs taking along 'pace makers' to sportives to help their riders get around.
    Do they get paid?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Just find someone your pace on the sportive and get chatting. Did the New forest one in 5 hours 8min by finding someone my pace
  • I agree, can't see the point. Guess the objective is like having a pacemaker in a marathon - to assist in getting the fastest time possible with minimal effort.
  • Maybe as an added extra, cash hungry sportive organisers could arrange a 'pace maker' for those willing to pay a premium. Therefore, all those pinarello-riding dentists desparate to impress their chums can get towed round by an Elite or Pro on their way to that gold standard.

Good idea?
  • TC Chamrosse from near Grenoble had a pacemaker in La Marmotte last year. I can't remember the chaps name but I used to race against him.
    Basically he waited on the Galibier close to the cafe near the tunnel entrance - when he spotted a Chamrousse rider he descended and paced him over the Galibier. He only did this for the first couple of riders as they are a strong club and had a few riders up with the big hitters at the front.
    Quite amusing to watch really.
  • In a word - "POINTLESS"
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Maybe I should have used on one the Marmotte last year.

I might have broken the 11hr mark! :lol:
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I generally go solo on sportives but usually find someone who has similar fitness. I find that after 50 miles or so I see they same people over again as some are quicker on the flat, descents ect or slower but it usually averages out.

I see a lot of club members work together but usually they end up dragging whole groups round as well. I guess that what would happen with pace makers as well. If people are that serious about sportives then they should either stick to racing or take it up.
    Brian B.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I dont do sportives now but done quite a few in the past and have never managed to find a similar paced group, in the UK anyway. In european ones it is easier to find a group as they are massed starts but in UK with smaller group starts not so easy. Last year I did short dragion route and did the entire route alone apart form the odd mile or two with one or two guys at most.
    I do know riders who do ride with mates and sort of get paced, but one I know would not find anyone to ride with as he would probably been the fastest rider anyway, he just had couple of mates with him for first 60 miles. For him he had to ride it due to his team sponsor but I dont see point of normal club riders being actually paced for the whole ride to get a good time if thats what happens. Riding as a group for ride yes but then you have to share load :D