Diagnostic help required - creaking noise

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi Folks

Did a ride yesterday and again today and have started to notice a rythmic creak while pedalling. It seems only to happen at one point in synch with the front crank rotation (at about the 6 o'clock position on the drive side). Its just a short creak, almost like a high pitched "ribbit" you might hear from a small frog.

It seems to be there almost all the time but I have noticed that when out of the saddle on a climb, I can't hear it. Don't know if it's because it really goes away when I'm standing on the pedals or because my ears are too far away from the source.

Relevant drivetrain info -Shimano FCR-553 triple crank with a 10 speed (12-27) cassette and a KMC 10-speed chain

Anyway here's my dilemma:-

Is it likely to be the bottom bracket (Shimano Hollowtech II) - I've only done about 3000 miles on it from new and all have been fairly steady riding - definitely no racing or sprinting. Is there any maintenance possible or will it mean a new BB.

Is one of the pedal spindles likely to be the culprit (Look Keo Classic). I ask this because the noise is similar to one I got on my old steel Mercian where I did replace the bottom bracket( square tapered)only find the noise was still there. I then replaced the pedals and it disappeared.

Finally is it possible that the saddle might be the source (Charge Spoon) since the noise seems to disappear when I am standing on the pedals in a climb.

Any suggestions to narrow down the problem would be appreciated. Want to tackle the remedial work in a systematic way at lowest cost if possible.

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    If it goes away when standing up try the seat post and saddle - pop both off, slap a load of grease in there, do up again.

If no luck then work your way up from the floor: oil the spoke nipples, pop off the chain ring bolts out and copperslipp as necessary, pedals off and copperslipped and popped back on - hopefully you'll hit what's causing it faitry early on and save you some work, even if you don't you'll at least know that everything is nicely greased and tight.

Cleats are worth a look as well if it's a plasticy ribbit.

3,000 on a b/b should be nothing so long as you haven't trashed it by riding through a lake or something.

HTH

Y
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Crank at the bottom - Is it shoe rubbing on crank? Move cleat in a bit.

or

If metal frame put teaspoon of oil down seatpost hole, seal and slow rotate frame so oil lubes all tube-to-tube internal butt joins. Put newspaper under bike when parking in lounge 'case oil drips from BB treads!
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Saddle rails.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    I'd be inclined to agree that saddle/seatpost would be the place to start. When you're standing up on the bike you say you can't hear it so most likely to be in that area.
  • I had very similar problem and on the under side of my saddle (Spesh Avatar gel) there are four (I think) little screws that hold the hull to the uper surface and a few were loose. I tihgtened them all up, lubed all around where bits touched and clamp fitting etc re-fitted and noise gone. Worth a look before anything more major.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Could be the saddle, though I've had creaking from external cup BBs when somehow a bit of dirt got into the threads after cleaning/lubing and putting back worked okay for a bit then started again where I just replaced it.

I also had a problem with a headset but I went through almost the entire bike before finding out as it became stronger when out of the saddle.

In your case it is worth checking the saddle, though I've had that saddle for a bit and have not had any problems. Check the seatpost itself too - try to clean everywhere you can and lube if applicable.
  • arlowood
    OK guys. Tks for all your input and suggestions.

Plan to start with the saddle/seat post lube option first and work from there if the problem is not eradicated.

Bit tied up over festive season so may be a few days before I can start the process.

Will update once solution is found (hopefully) for the benefit of others.
  • arlowood
    arlowood wrote:
    OK guys. Tks for all your input and suggestions.

Plan to start with the saddle/seat post lube option first and work from there if the problem is not eradicated.

Bit tied up over festive season so may be a few days before I can start the process.

Will update once solution is found (hopefully) for the benefit of others.

Here's the update.

Managed to get some free time yesterday after all the visitors had departed.

Removed saddle and seat post and cleaned out seat tube with a cloth wrapped around a bottle brush. fair bit of muck removed courtesy of rear wheel spray (no guards on this winter).

Cleaned and liberally greased the seat post with cooper lube. Tightened screws on underside of saddle that hold rails to body and gave the seat post clamp a good soaking with WD40.

Put all back together again and did a 15 mile loop today.

All seems tickety-boo - no creaking or any other odd noises. So the seat post/ saddle suggestion was the biz folks.

Hope this helps others in a similar dilemma.
  • Good stuff - Principle of silence happily restored!