Want to buy a heavy, ugly, flexy, expensive bike?

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Then look no further: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/e ... ride-32763

1324392553901-1xp4ei7xnbewy-280-75.jpg

It'll cost ~£2500, it weighs 300g more than an Orange 5, you can't adjust the seatpost.....

Why?
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• Handmade, and not mass produced.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Some things you just cannot unsee.. Can't work out what the point of it is as everything about it seems functionally worse than a normal hydroformed jobbie. Can you imagine trying to clean the thing!?

Someone fetch the midnbleach.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Chris’s decision to deliberately design flex into the swingarm “to add feel and compliance”

Nothing to do with not making it from boring old tubes of aluminium then.
  • Never have the words "Ugly pile of crap" been more fitting..Then again, the world is full of gullible numpties that are easily parted with their cash

And who on earth would put a white fork on it??!! Surely black would suit that (dreadful) colour scheme better
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I kinda like it in a spastic type of way.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not many people want to do machining projects like this," says Chris. "I don't have a death wish, I just wanted to do something that wasn't available from anyone else.
    he does need to get out a bit more.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    That is one ugly bike, but a little flex in the rear end (chassis, not wheels) can be great for ride quality and feel.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    But how does it ride?

Either way, I wouldn't ride it cuz its gopping.

Major flaw not being able to drop the seatpost though imo - thought that particular stumbling block had been figured out a fair while back
  • Ah yes, but it's made in the UK, in relatively small numbers. That instantly makes it rad to the power of sick, and worth eleventy million pounds. See Orange 5 and hope for empirical evidence.

And as for:
    Not many people want to do machining projects like this," says Chris. "I don't have a death wish, I just wanted to do something that wasn't available from anyone else.

Ja, there may be a reason for that.

Tell you what else isn't available from anyone else chris, a bike made entirely of cheese.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    So, he wanted to build a better bike. He wanted to avoid the issues from welding. Yet he hadn't worked out that in the trumps that is second order bending moments, that tube beats I-section.

Then there's the issue of cost and waste.

If it's different and better, then fair enough, but this is different and poorly engineered. Great case of form over function equals fail.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    While I have respect for the guy for making a bike starting with an ingot of aluminium, the fact is that the methods available to him are limiting and will result in a compromised design that actually costs more to produce. Hydroformed tubes and forged solid sections are almost always better for frame manufacture, compared to casting and total CNCing (though forged parts are often finished by CNC).

Problem is there are few if any places where you can take your design in the UK and get the bits fluid formed or forged. CNC yes, but it is our friends in the far east who have invested in forging and hydroforming tech and are taking advantage of the speed and mass production.

So we are left with in the UK inferior construction methods that needs heavy work arounds to get the desired result. As has been mentioned, the seat post issue and pivot placement limit the bike, as does the flex and weight.

But still he has had a go, and it will sell by those who think that we still do it best ;-)
  • If you can't adjust the seatpost, surely its very specific for the size of rider that would buy this bike? I haven't clicked on the review so don't know if they make it per your individual spec
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • louthepoo wrote:
    If you can't adjust the seatpost, surely its very specific for the size of rider that would buy this bike? I haven't clicked on the review so don't know if they make it per your individual spec

It's not compatible with dropper posts, but will take a normal size seat post. Cut down to the size you want, and when you sell it maybe throw in another seat post for the next person to cut down!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Gonna have to disagree with Mr Sonic, in parts.

I'm thinking it was his choice of design that dictated his choice of manufacturing route - not the other way 'round (he could have gone the composite, for example).

Willaims wanted something 'different' and in that, he has succeeded. But 'different' ain't the same a 'better', and he has argued that his designs would be 'better'.

It has a certain aesthetic, I'll grant, but a 'better bike''? Not by my reckoning.

..and for that reason, ahm oot. :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's not compatible with dropper posts,

Why not? You can't drop the seatpost, but surely you could fit a dropper post?
  • King_Pin_Rich
    King_Pin_Rich Posts: 111
    edited December 2011
    The title of this thread is unfair in my opinion.
    I say hats off to the man. He's had the gumption to follow the idea thorough and as a result has produced something unique. Its not to everyones taste or ride, but what is.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    njee20 wrote:
    It's not compatible with dropper posts,

Why not? You can't drop the seatpost, but surely you could fit a dropper post?

Unless he's gone and made a nice bespoke size seatpost to go with the bike too....

Just do as they did in the review, take it off and stick it in yer bag, awesome :D

Actually, he's just expanded on the dropper post idea. Instead of just dropping it out of the way, he completely eliminates it from the equation. Pretty damn clever if you ask me....

Could probably do with a bung for either the top of the seat tube or the bottom of yours though :oops: :mrgreen:
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    If it had of looked remotely like the design concept I'd have proclaimed it to be a miracle bike, even if it did ride like tosh...
    mx6.jpg

If it looked like a minature AP1, I might have even bought it :)
    empire_ap-1.jpg
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I think it's a good effort, though agree it would be a huge PITA to clean after a muddy ride.

On pic 7 it says: "The seat tower on this prototype is 27.2mm in diameter; a 30.9mm or 31.6mm replacement is on the way for greater dropper post compatibility"
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    There doesn't seem to be much seat-tube, how low could you actually get a dropper seatpost? Would you be able to set it so that at max extension it's at 'XC height' or would it always end up above that: too high? It's not like you can chop a dropper down to make it fit!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • You can use your arse to stop a dropper post from hitting full height though. At least, on some you can (Reverb, i900 and probably more). Not ideal.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    The poor guy is reading this thread and crying. :oops:
    Should of asked us first :twisted:
    But really, F**k all that effort into that?
    Pinkbike is offering a design competion but it is only open to American users. How about the UK sort out something similar?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Reality-Redesigned-Submissions-Now-Open.html
    Don't think, BE: