advise on tyre choice or any other suggestions for gf's bike

aongo
aongo Posts: 28
edited June 2012 in Women
Hi all,
My gf enjoys coming with me on the odd spin around the woods, and I'd like if she came with me a little more, but she had a nasty off a couple of weeks ago from some wet roots, so planned to fit out her bike (giant CRS hybrid - see pic) with some knobblies - I know they are no match for slippy roots but figured bigger volume, grippier tyres might give her a fighting chance and maybe get her into MTBing a bit more... (and save me from fixing all those punctures!)
I know it's not a proper MTB, but it's a sturdy bike, fast rolling 28" wheels and I keep brakes, fork, gears etc in good order, so it will do until she might decide she'd like something better

Choices for 28" / 700C knobblies are limited, but going to go with these ones (700*37) on CRC once they back in stock
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49004

There's not massively a lot else that I think I can do with her bike to make it more MTB-friendly - (maybe change brake pads for stickier rubber), or is there?
My lady is small, 5' 4" and because it's a big-wheeled bike the seat is dropped to the nearly to the last anyway (despite the size S frame) so hardly worth bothering with quick-release seatpost clamp either

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for either a 28" knobbly tyre or making a ladies bike / or lady more MTB ready?
We're in NW Ireland, and cycling mostly light off-road, forest paths and occasional trail centre (nothing overly technical / crazy)

Thanks a million! :)
A

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    There are shed loads of 29er tyres out there

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... 9%22+tyres

there are 30 odd there for starters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • aongo
    Thanks for the help there Nick, but thought 29er tyres too big for 700c wheels no? Was under the impression that 700c (standard road bike / hybrid) was 28"...
    Had not considered the cyclocross options benpinnick - thanks! :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    aongo wrote:
    Thanks for the help there Nick, but thought 29er tyres too big for 700c wheels no? Was under the impression that 700c (standard road bike / hybrid) was 28"...
    Had not considered the cyclocross options benpinnick - thanks! :)
    same size.

they are all 700c just different ways of doing the same thing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aongo
    ahhhhh... I am enlightened, honestly did not know that... cheers bud! :)
  • This is an old post and is probably long and forgotten, Dare I suggest it (without getting shot at dawn) But if you want your girlfriend to accompany you on more bike rides, not fall off and for her to enjoy it why don't you invest in a new bike that is meant to do the job, e.g. proper tyres, brakes fork etc??? instead of making do and hoping for the best with a few changes. An entry level bike with disc breaks would be ideal, you could even sell the pictured bike and put the money towards it. Im not feminist, but "come on guys" your ladies are worth it don't assume we can make do with the wrong tools and manage, would you?