Whinlatter - Any Useful Tips?

Hukes75
Hukes75 Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in Routes
Visiting Whinlatter for the first time over the holiday period and wanting to make best use of time away from family and on bike. As there are three loops from what I can make out (two red ,north and south, and the blue) can anyone recommend any particular order to do them in to get the most out of my time there, enjoyment factor being high on the list?

Cheers

Comments

• Hi Hukes

I would do the blue first to get the legs warmed up, the end of the blue leads into the south loop red - this is basically a long boring climb to the top of the ridge but the descent is great if you really go for it. From the end of south loop, cross over the visitor centre and do the north loop - this is a lot more interesting with a brilliant descent at the end.

All in all, this should be about 20 miles and will definitely get your heart beating!

I've ridden here a few times now and this is the route I do each time - first time I didnt do the blue thinking it would be too tame, but there are some really nice flowing parts of the track - hit it hard and you'll love it!

Either way, time away and riding is always goodtime!
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Be prepared for a mud fest on the North Loop, the clue is in the name as to why.

I went there a couple of times in August and it was horrendous in places, however the South loop gets all the lovely sun and is far more open so isn't half as bad.

Regardless they're both excellent trails, the final descent on the North loop is awesome though imo, just slightly beats the South loop descent which as said above is excellent and the view at the top of the climb on the South is amazing.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    not been for ages,,
    but north loop first then south loop..

tippy for you.
    when you finish the final descent(grinning from ear to ear) dont cross the fire road to go onto the south loop.
    instead go left up the fireroad keep going go past the big wooden squirrel and bear left at the top.. this takes you back to the trailhead for the final descent.. we did it 4 or 5 times...
  • Only been once but I'd say Blue, South then North. End the day with the North loop descent at least.

I like how the visitor centre is at the centre of the loops. Other places I've been to kinda force you into doing the whole route in one go. I enjoyed doing a loop, stopping for a brew, a loop, spot of lunch, another loop, bit of cake etc'. Good day out there, wanna go back soon!
  • If I do all three its normally North, Blue then South. Means I'm full of beans to hammer the North (my fav) use the Blue as a breather and then straight into the South.

Total distance for all three is 16 miles, don't believe the info boards up there!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    If I do all three its normally North, Blue then South. Means I'm full of beans to hammer the North (my fav) use the Blue as a breather and then straight into the South.

Total distance for all three is 16 miles, don't believe the info boards up there!

The info boards say its 16 miles in total for all three no, sure it did when I went which matches my garmin readings?

Additionally - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcenweal ... eaflet.pdf
  • Have to say I didn't like Whinlatter at all, the climb on the south loop just isnt worth it for the descent. Glentress, llandegla etc are far better layed out.

BUT if you're in that area, the loop of Skiddaw is a fantastic ride, stunning scenery and natural trails too!

Just my opinion of course, perhaps if we had done WL on day one it wouldn't have been such a letdown.
  • Have to agree. While whinlatter is ok it can't compare to the natural bw in the lakes.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim