Crank length

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
I've just bought and fitted 175mm cranks on my fixie. As everything else is the same its easy to pinpoint any differences in how the bike feels.

I'm quite long in the trouser department (I've got long legs too) so when I saw these longer cranks, I thought they might suit me better than cranks more suited to Santa's helpers (RC, BJUK, CW etc), but I have to say that it feels like much harder work than using 170mm cranks.

Is there a mechanical advantage to using a longer crank? I can't feel the difference (as in I don't feel my feet lifting higher at the top of the stroke or stretching more at the bottom) but it definitely feels harder to get going. No computer, so I can't quantify anything, but I wonder what difference different crank lengths have on things like power, torque, acceleration, stamina etc. I certainly feel more tired after a ride now than I did before, but I've been using 170mm cranks for about 25 years and these new cranks for not even 25 hours. Maybe I just need to get used to them?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Could be that babies gear you're pushing :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:

I'm pushing just under 76". I do like the look of 52x18, its nothing like a baby gear.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Longer cranks increase you leverage (although 170 to 175mm is a circa 3% increase) and should make it easier to pull away, where it should count against you is a speed where your feet have to travel further (again circa 3%), either something else has changed or your memory is playing tricks!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'm pushing just under 76". I do like the look of 52x18, its nothing like a baby gear.

I found a 14t freewheel the other day and one a brief second i though oooow that plus a 53t up front :shock: then my knee twinged and i remembered the 2 torn ITB's back in 2009. plus some mornings my BSO is frankly not cricket.

yes all very silly
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I found a 14t freewheel the other day and one a brief second i though oooow that plus a 53t up front :shock: then my knee twinged and i remembered the 2 torn ITB's back in 2009. plus some mornings my BSO is frankly not cricket.

yes all very silly

102.2" would be a massive gear. On the BSO that weighs a few ton, I would predict another torn ITB for ITB when pulling away from a set of lights, up hill, in heavy traffic, at night.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Simple answer is MTFU, what did you expect? Surprised it took this long for someone to say it.
    Morereasonable answer is, as Simon says, the longer crank should give a mechanical advantage being a longer lever. I've nearly always used 175mm cranks but recently rode a bike with 170mm and didn't notice the difference in crank length. I used to ride the same bike with 175mm cranks but there was a gap of a couple of months between the two so any small difference is lost in the mists of time and senility.
    I'd have thought a man of your stature would have always been on 175mm. Like you said your not a little fella.
  • Your feet have to travel further with the longer cranks (3cm per rotation - 2 metres a minute at around 70rpm) - I'm not sure it's really significant. You will also be stretching your movement a bit further. Probably really mostly just the need to MTFU :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I suspect your position isn't quite right on the new bike, check the saddle fore/aft in relation to the BB.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    175mm cranks on all my bikes. Considered shorter for the SS/FG to reduce the likelihood of pedal-strike, but didn't bother in the end. Only time I have tried shorter cranks is on a track bike at Herne Hill, when TBH I was more worried about crashing than how much difference 5mm makes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    On a similar line, I've recently had to replace my 42T inner ring with a 39T due to availability, and I've been very surprised just how much easier the 39T (about 7% smaller) is to turn.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition