Tyre no clinching

BiggerBoat
BiggerBoat Posts: 168
edited January 2012 in The workshop
I bought some schwalbe studded winter tyres (700C 35) and some new rims so I can quickly swap these with my schwalbe marathon plus (700C 35's). I fitted the studded tyres no problem to my old rims (700c 25mm span), but am having problems fitting my existing marathon plus to the new rims (700c 25mm span). This is not the usual really tight fit problem but the opposite. They won't clinch onto the rim. One tyre is on ok'ish but the other refuses to clinch and just keeps coming off (~60-70 psi). The inner tube seems to easily push through in one area. Are my beads gone (tyres ~18 months old 2500 miles) or am I messing up. Any help, thanks.

p.s. the studded tyres were ace on the ice the other day.
We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
Trek Madone 5.2
Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)

Comments

• Hmm, I've got a similar problem: but with 630 Marathon's on my 27" wheel (other) shopper. I reckon I ran my rear over-infalted(80psi) and flared the steel rim. But I guess you're not using them on 'new' steel rims?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • I didn't think about the rim being flared, but it should not be a problem with new rims. I inflated and deflated a few times, and ensured that the tyre was well positioned evenly around the rim. It seems to be holded, albeit at a lower pressure (60 psi) than I would normally have (75psi).
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Have you checked the width of the new wheels is correct for that width of tyre?