yet another 'will this work' thread...

jameses
jameses Posts: 653
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Hi,
I'm not too optimistic, but thought I would see if anyone here knew any better...

I've been picking up second hand Shimano groupset pieces recently, just assuming they would work together. Silly me.

1 - I have a 5603 front derailleur, just checked the tech docs and Shimano claim a front chainwheel tooth difference of 20 teeth or less - any chance this will work on a 30/42/52 triple? Will the extra 2 teeth make that much difference? they also say you have to use a 10 speed chain, but I have heard of people using 9sp without problems.

2 - Any real issues using a short cage rear derailleur with a triple setup? 11-23 rear casette, front cogs as above. Tech docs suggest it won't work with any more than a 14 tooth difference up front.

Kind of resigned to the fact that I may have to source new derailleurs, but if anyone has tried the above I would be interested to hear of the results.

Cheers,
James

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a 105 triple set up as per Shimano reccs. 5603 front mech and 30/39/50 chainset. Looking at the clearances I can't see that an extra 2 teeth would cause a major problem.

Rear cassette is 12-25. came with a long cage rear mech. Not sure a short cage will cope with the 30-52 gap at the front
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Just from the sound of it, the short cage may not be quite long enough but I don't have any experience with tripples. Going from all bikes on sale with tripple CSs they seem to have at least medium.

As for a 9 speed chain on a 10spd from - that should cause zero problems.
  • Afraid a short cage mech will not cope with a triple chainset, the f5603 front gear will definitely work with the rings listed as these are standard triple rings.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear the front mech will work, just need to find myself another rear mech now.