enough steerer length?

lordmerchant
lordmerchant Posts: 378
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
another sterer length question... I have been offered a decent new fork for my merlin malt 4 problem is the fork comes with a 190m steerer currently i have...

125MM HEAD TUBE

27.4MM Orbit XL II (external headset)

40mm Race Face Deus X stem

which comes to 192.4mm total

I have a 210mm steerer on my current fork, BUT run 20mm of spacers, which means the stem sits slightly proud of the STEERER by approx 5mm.

Do you reckon I could get away with running the new 190mm steerer without spacers, or would it be more sensible (and safe) to look into an intergrated headset?

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if your frame does not take an integreated headset you can not fit one.

Headset standards are not mixable.
    which means the stem sits slightly proud of the stem by approx 5mm.
    what?

try moving your current 20mm of spacers above the stem and see how it is as that is what will happen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • As your head tube isn't designed to fit a semi integrated much less an integrated headset it isn't going to happen. Look at the bearing on your external headset and try to see how it would fit inside your head tube. It's not going to get any smaller
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • nicklouse wrote:
    if your frame does not take an integreated headset you can not fit one.

Headset standards are not mixable.
    which means the stem sits slightly proud of the stem by approx 5mm.
    what?

try moving your current 20mm of spacers above the stem and see how it is as that is what will happen.

sorry i wrote that stem one too many times there, it should read

"which means the stem sits slightly proud of the STEERER by approx 5mm." -I will go back and edit

Will try that now Nicklouse, and thanks Wooliferkins, never considered that :oops:
  • Well if you've only got 5mm spacers, then removing 1 is not going to help. 5mm is more than you want but should be ok - find a 2 mm spacer and you'll be about correct on 3 mm steerer below the stem.
  • thanks for advice, sounds like it SHOULD work, but I think I'll hold out for a better offer on a longer steerer just to be sure.

cheers fellas
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Can you try the setup? Install the new fork without any spacers, and see how much difference is there between the steerer end and stem top?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • rhyl