Someone worth mourning

jejv
jejv Posts: 566
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
rjsterry wrote:
A shame that he has 'out-died' Vaclav Havel, someone whose passing really is worth mourning.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/easterna ... l-memoriam

I liked the bit: Well, if the Czechs don't want him, we'll make him King of Poland!

If there'd been an election for president of the Earth, he'd have got my vote.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    IIRC, Thatcher spoke very highly of him in "Statecraft".
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    cjcp wrote:
    Interesting, seeing as their politics were pretty widely separated: his main opponent during his presidency was the Thatcherite prime minister Vaclav Klaus.

I like the story of him using a child's scooter to get around the long corridors of the presidential palace.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Interesting, seeing as their politics were pretty widely separated: his main opponent during his presidency was the Thatcherite prime minister Vaclav Klaus.

I like the story of him using a child's scooter to get around the long corridors of the presidential palace.

Unfortunately, a book I've yet to finish and not picked up in a long time, but I think it focused on what it takes to be a statesperson as opposed to their individual policies. I think.

There's a bit when she's recalling a visit to Havel and she asks why they didn't oppose the invasion, and Havel opens the windows of the palace, points to the architecture and says something like "That's why. They would have destroyed all that."
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."