The Wessex Way

booldawg
booldawg Posts: 290
edited January 2012 in Routes
Been thinking of doing the South Downs Way for a while and heard from a mate who proffessed to doing the SDW but starting at Weston-Super-Mare! 250 miles in total. This was about 20 years ago and I've since found out there is a route called the Wessex Way which is pretty much what they rode.

I'm surprised there arent more resources out there. I've bought the guid (Tim Woodcocks) which gives basic route cards and hand-drawn maps. I've had a tinker on 'mapmyride' with the cards and finding it a nightmare.

Is there a GPX file out there? Also has anyone on here ridden this?
1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    From WSM you would need to take the route of the West Mendip Way from a village called Uphill. Part of it is only footpath but here are a few diversion loops that involve some road riding that gets you fairly easily over to Loxton and then it's up again to Crook Peak (By the Webbington Country Club). From there it's all off road to Kings Wood and again then it would be an element of road riding to take you out to Charterhouse. If you divert up to Rowberrow there is some great riding to be had including some pretty challenging downhill routes with jumps ets!! Not sure where it links up to the Wessex Way though, sorry.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • I'm in the process of mapping it with basecamp for a charity ride of it in February, I'll happily share the route data with you when I'm done plotting it.