HD tv around £500

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited January 2012 in The hub
Hello, I'm looking into getting a new HDtv but the choice is enormous! Thats what she said

Feel like i've been here before...should i go ht or full suspension?? only joking

Will be using it to watch bbc iplayer, 4od, etc and will be linking up my xbox.

There's so many out there I was hoping some people here could recommend me a good set!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    size?

HD ready?
    Full HD?
    3D?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Anything by Panasonic
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Mark909
    Size i was looking at some in the shops and i think around 52 inches. I was reading somewhere that 1080p is not necessarily best if you're no more than 9m away from the tv screen and 720p is best if you're closer to get the best definition.

I'm not sure of the exact definition between full hd and hd ready.

I dont really sit and watch programs that are on tv. I will always watch them on bbc iplayer or 4od on my laptop. I know quite a few repeats on bbc iplayer are HD so i gues full HD would be the best. Obviously need a hdmi attachment to attach said laptop!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You have been given some very poor info.

And a 52" for 600 I would not bother.

A full HD 50" tv is fine for 3m viewing while a HD ready at 3m might be a little to close.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pudseyp
    This is what I have: it's a low energy plasma in 1080p with 600hz refresh rate.
    http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Plasma-TVs/buy ... desciption

Plasma is better in the larger screens as LCD from some angles become pixalated.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Get a Samsung, best value/quality/style/features for the money. I got a 40" 1080p (yes, it is better than 720p, don't listen to whoever told you to go 720) LCD with heaps of connectivity, USB/firewire/LAN etc that plays avi and mkv files for only £400 about a year ago so you should be able to get a 50 inch in that range for £500.
  • Pudseyp
    agg25 wrote:
    Get a Samsung, best value/quality/style/features for the money. I got a 40" 1080p (yes, it is better than 720p, don't listen to whoever told you to go 720) LCD with heaps of connectivity, USB/firewire/LAN etc that plays avi and mkv files for only £400 about a year ago so you should be able to get a 50 inch in that range for £500.

Which is funny as the Samsung I had prior to the Pansonic was utter shite to be honest..I had two in five months, I became pixialated, the other kept switching itself off...bought the Panasonic from John Lewis as they price matched and got a five year warranty...the picture is amazing, sound excellent....and is probably the best TV for the money IMO.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    You'll have to do some research to establish what you really want but you will get a lot of telly for £500. Last year I chose an LG LCD full HD TV and I still love it. I've hooked it up to an AV system so the sound is awesome too. The other thing I did was treat myself to an Xbox 360 and game playing is absolutely superb. I chose LCD rather than Plasma because LCD is really light (so no problem hanging on to a wall) and Plasma weighs a ton and quite power hungry. I cannot fault the picture quality and any "black" is very black (great contrast). I also saved a lot of money by buying from "Richer Sounds" which I found was a really good experience. A bit like going to a good bike shop and talking to people who are real enthusiasts and know what they are talking about. My shortlist included LG, Samsung and Panasonic, all produce excellent TVs.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Pudseyp wrote:
    agg25 wrote:

Which is funny as the Samsung I had prior to the Pansonic was utter shite to be honest..I had two in five months, I became pixialated, the other kept switching itself off...bought the Panasonic from John Lewis as they price matched and got a five year warranty...the picture is amazing, sound excellent....and is probably the best TV for the money IMO.

I bet it wasn't this one you had ->
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40C58 ... B003DNSJ5Y
    I compared in shop before I bought and the Samsung was noticeably better than the rest
  • Mark909
    ah god this is worse than buying a new bike!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I bought a 37" Samsung Full HD for £299 of this guy. It was the best deal I could find, the TV is excellent. FOr connectivity, I run everything from an HTPC that lives underneath and plays all our digitised movie, music and photo archive through the TV, along with internet, documents... whatever else you do with a PC, plus blu ray and gaming. Hooked up to an amp and speakers so the TV isn't doing any sound.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    You can have my old 27" lexor HDTV :lol: for £50 then spend the £450 fixing it.

I'd go for a Samsung, my nan has a 60" one in her front room, as does my sister (albeit a smaller one) and the pic quality is really good
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I have a 40"" samsung I got for 320 note from Currys, I can see things on it the pic is better than my old daewoo, I'm no expert on tellys so all I do is go in store, find one or two that I like the quality of the pic on then check the net for reviews and prices.

I also like a 14 inch bush though ;)
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Smart TV's are where it's at now. Apps, internet and DLNA ect.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Smart TV's are where it's at now. Apps, internet and DLNA ect.
    No it's not... An HTPC is where it's at... Why limit yourself to prescribed content when you could have games, full internet, documents - your entire digital life - connected to your TV.
  • Mark909
    I cant see the point of a smart tv when you can just plug in your laptop. Thanks for the advice guys but looks like im going to have to put my tv on hold after my car disaster!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Anything with a 5 star What HiFi review. I bought one of these from comet for £350. Bargains are there for those who look.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    32 inchers are more like bedroom Tvs now - good in the days of CRTs, too small for lounges of a normal size.
  • my dad told me to get him a 50" with none that crap stuff on it(think he meant 3D),so thinking about getting him this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... d_i=468294
    hates dog walkers